Purolator L14459, 4357 miles, cut open, TORN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sorry excuse of a filter came off my sister-in-law's 2003 Subaru Outback H6 with 78859 miles. I made sure she didn't run it too long to prevent tearing, but it did anyways. Ran it only 4357 miles with Napa 5w30 conventional over the summer months. The ADBV is still soft. Other than the tears it looks good, well, except for the rust inside the can. This filter and another one like it came from PepBoys' 2016 Thanksgiving oil special. Maybe someone can decipher the date on it to have an idea how old it is.

I put on the other Purolator L14459 and some Valvoline 5w30 conventional. I will yank this filter off as soon as I can. After this, I won't use another one if they paid me. What a joke.

Compare this filter to the previous Fram PH3593A with 9300 miles on it. Over twice the miles, over the winter months and with thicker oil. I have no words.

Last edited:
Date Code:

F11F24D1

F = Fayetteville, North Carolina Plant
11 = Month
F = Year 2014
24 = Day of the Month
D = Line Number
1 = Shift

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Date Code:

F11F24D1

F = Fayetteville, North Carolina Plant
11 = Month
F = Year 2014
24 = Day of the Month
D = Line Number
1 = Shift

Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I wonder what Purolator engineering team would say ?
They'd laugh and wouldn't admit there's a problem.

The ones that cared have all been fired and replaced with minimum wage button pushers that toe the company line.

This is a three year old filter so it's not representative of what is coming off the lines right now. I'm not defending Purolator but just making this observation.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
This is a three year old filter so it's not representative of what is coming off the lines right now. I'm not defending Purolator but just making this observation.

I agree. And 2.5 years of shelf time could explain why there is rust in the can.

There have been reports of torn Purolators that were not very old (less than a year old per date code).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

There have been reports of torn Purolators that were not very old (less than a year old per date code).

My point is that there have been some recent cut opens of Purolators here that were okay. If they are turning the corner and making better filters we cannot use this filter because of its age.

Three year old filter, exposed to heavy moisture, possibly water.
Just saying, cant find myself to bash the brand on such a dated product with rust in it no less.

The Boss is OK in certain sizes. Have to visually check the bypass valve, adbv, and the louvers. I won't be doing that again, but have two Boss ready to be used that seem OK.
It may be true the newest lower tier Purolator filters are OK, so buy them please and report the findings while others wait. Without Purolator tearing pictures, the oil filter forum would be boring.
laugh.gif

My point is that there have been some recent cut opens of Purolators here that were okay. If they are turning the corner and making better filters we cannot use this filter because of its age.

I get that, and my point is that Purolators are still not fixed based on some pretty new ones still showing problems.

I get that, and my point is that Purolators are still not fixed based on some pretty new ones still showing problems.
Yes-they fixed the tearing somewhat, now their non-deburred baseplates are eating ADBVs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back