Purolator L10241 and Fram PH6017a cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let me begin by saying that I have been a long time lurker on this forum and have learned many great things from this site!

A little background.

I have been a Fram fan from way back; as was my father and pretty much everyone in my family. Never had an oil related problem and never once have I cut open a filter until today! I am strictly a Conventional Oil user in my cars and religiously do my oil changes at 3000Miles/5000KM. I tend to stick to the same oil for the life of the vehicle and do all the changes myself.

About a year ago, Wal-Mart Canada did away with all the Fram filters and replaced with Purolator. I'm sure y'all remember reading all the threads and I'm pretty sure it happened south of the border in the US as well. Well, I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up a couple of filters. Now with the recent Purolator issues I decided to do some cutting and see for myself.

Now to business:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4 N/A 72xxx Miles/117xxx KM
Valvoline WB, 5W30 with a Purolator Classic L10241
oil changed at 2920 Miles/4700KM

My conclusion on the Purolator. The can is super thin and flimsy. I used a $2 can opener to cut it and it cut through with ease! I found two tears and that's enough for me, back to the Orange can I go. In all fairness, I have a Fram Extra Guard on there right now and will be cutting that open in the next few weeks for a comparison. I also have another Purolator on the shelf in the garage and will give that one a try and see how it compares to this one.

On to the next one!

2009 Kawasaki ZX14 1352cc's of Puuure Maaadness! 31,xxx Miles/51,xxx KM
Motul 7100 Full Synthetic 10w40 with a Fram PH6017a
Oil changed at 3160 Miles/5100 KM of Hard Use!

My Conclusion on the Fram: I normally use Kawasaki's OEM filter on the bike but have used the Fram PH6017a from time to time. The filter is rock solid! It took for ever to cut into it! At first glance, it appears to be just as solid as OEM. The ADV seemed to work fine because there was still a fair bit of oil left behind the filter media after I cut it open. No tears!, pleats look great, and the end caps were solid!!! I think I may have found my new bike filter. I currently have a OEM Kawasaki filter on the bike and will be cutting that open as a comparison to the Fram. But as it stands, I am pretty impressed with the Fram.

Well, there you have it! You folks have officially made me a filter cutter and I'm glad you did!

Cheers!

Purolator tear, Fram goodness...

In the US i still have the Fram filters on the shelf, Extra Guard, Tough Guard, Ultra, as well as Motorcraft, Mopar, and AC Delco.

Thanks for posting the pics. That Fram looks great. Every time I see a post like this it makes me glad I changed back to Fram. Extra Guard on my Dakota with a 3K OCI, Tough Guard on my wife's Nissan Rogue with a 5K OCI. I don't think I will be using Purolator ever again after their lack of concern over their media problems.

One question about the tear in the second pic. If the tear occurred during use wouldn't the filter media in the tear area also be black with oil ?

Originally Posted By: strongt
One question about the tear in the second pic. If the tear occurred during use wouldn't the filter media in the tear area also be black with oil ?

Good question, made me run outside and check the filter again. Both tears look equally soaked. I think what you're seeing in the above pictures is just the reflection from the flash from my camera.

Here's two I just took without flash

and two with the flash.

I think it just lighting and angle.

It's pretty obvious that Purolator oil filters can't be trusted anymore and I, for one, will NOT USE THEM anymore.

Fram media is definitely a higher quality material.
The fiber endcaps allow the filter cartridge to flex with pressure and avoid media failure.

I came up with a great idea to stop these tears in oil filters...I stopped using the tearolaters both in the shop and in my own cars and trucks

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I came up with a great idea to stop these tears in oil filters...I stopped using the tearolaters both in the shop and in my own cars and trucks

Looks like the term "tearolator" is spreading on the net.

Google search for "tearolator"

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
I believe FRAM is OEM for Harley Davidson.

They look like the same filter side by side.

Fram is OEM for many makes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back