Purolator "Classic"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far better than those others you mentioned, in my opinion.
I think it is a very good, solid, fairly efficient filter for little money.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

+1 They're one of the better no-frills filters out there.

Originally Posted By: river_rat

thumbsup2.gif

Spend a couple extra dollars and get the excellent PureOne.

There is a rebate 'til the end of the month.

They do have anti-drainback valves right? If not that would be a deal killer for me.

They have a silicon ADBV as far as I know. It will easily do a 5k oil change, one of the better filters for the price.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Spend a couple extra dollars and get the excellent PureOne.

There is a rebate 'til the end of the month.

Oil Changer,

Every time I go to my local PEP BOYS they never have the Pure One ait filters so that's why I always get the Classic as they have those. I didn't even see any FRAM as an alternate in my model. If I go to an Auto Zone they have STP and I don't know the quality of those filters. Better for me to stay with a Purolator.

Durango

^Since you don't mention your application in question, I'm assuming you've already looked to see if a PureONE was referenced for your vehicle? If not, then of course a Classic will do a good job overall.

Air filters.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Are we talking air or oil filters here?

I was talking oil filters. My bad. But I feel the same about their air filters. If the PureOne air filter is available for the application, so much the better.
Although now that I am on board with the air filter concept, Fram and STP...particularly STP...usually makes a pretty good air filter too. The Fram Toughguard pre-oiled paper air filter is excellent, I believe.

I won't buy Purolator a/fs for my truck because they don't fit the air box. The Purolator a/f gaskets are missing a rib that seals the air box. Without the rib, the two halves of the housing can move around and dirt can get past the filter. I first noticed this back in 2006 or so when I bought one without looking at it first. I have checked Purolators on the shelf since then and the gaskets are still way too thin.

Personally, I like Fram a/fs. The gaskets make a very tight seal and I have never had a quality issue with a Fram a/f.

It isn't brand loyalty either. I have used Purolator oil filters without a second thought, their a/fs just don't fit my application. I won't and have never bought a Fram oil filter, but their a/fs work great in my application.

I think the Purolator will work fine IF it seals the air box good. Just check the filter before buying to make sure it matches the original.

Originally Posted By: Durango
Hi guys/gals,

Tell me about Purolator "Classic" filters. Are they pretty good compared to FRAM, STP or anything other for my Durango????

Purolator Classic is comparable in quality to the others you mentioned, its advantage is "Made in the USA", Fram will be Canada and STP can be a mix and is sometimes USA made. I have used Purolator Classic previously and would recommend it for your Durango as I used the same filter application.

Toto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back