Purolator Classic Oil FIlters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seem like pretty decent filters. Went to my R&S Strauss today as they have a 50% off Oil and Air filter sale going on. Bought my M1 filter for my oil change last week for 5 dollars. Figured I'd stock up on filters. Rather than waste 5 bucks on a mobil 1 filter(a great filter, but i have a 3.5Q Sump so my Xterra only gets 4.5/5k OCI's) its a waste really.

Picked up 2 Purolator Classic's for roughly 5(little under). Might go back this weekend to the other location and buy two more(every other day and just stock up). its limit 2 per customer, but doubt they would remember me, and different shifts.

So are these filters any good? I didn't feel like buying the PureOne version(the yellow turd) it looked the same just had the yellow gripage on it.

The PremiumPlus (the regular ones) are pretty good filters. They're excellent when you consider the cost. Much more surface area than a Fram/Ecore. The PureOne does have a bit more surface area, but the Premium Plus already has so much and you have a short OCI so I doubt it matters much. The PureOne also has a Silicone ADBV whereas the PremiumPlus has the Nitrile which isn't as pliable, especially as it ages. So if you get some ticking at startup, you might consider the upgrade.

FWIW, both my Accord and motorcycle both get 2 for 5dollar PremiumPluses. And I do ~7500 miles on the Accord in that time. I cut them open at the end of it. They look good.

I didn't buy the regular ones as they were smaller than my Mobil 1 filter. The classic is the same (longer) filter as the Mobil1 and look exactly like the PureOne grip filter just its all white. The gold filter was 8 dollars(would have been 4 with 50%). The classics were about 4.50 a peice. Examining both they looked exactly the same down to the bottom of the filter and all around. The normal filters(Premiums) were roughly 1inch shorter and didn't have the ADBV that the PureOne and Classic have.

In addition, the new Purolator Classic oil filter offers:

* Multi-fiber, high-density media which filters out harmful contaminants
* Internally lubricated Nitrile gasket that requires less torque for filter removal
* Anti-drainback valve** minimizes engine dry start

That's weird that the PremiumPlus and Classic are different. Both the Accord and motorcycle take the same filter, and in that application the Classic and PremiumPlus are identical, just a newly designed box (and have an ADBV, I've never seen one without to be honest). But every app is different I guess.

For my application, the Purolator Premium L12222 is actually a Champ PH48.
The AC Delco is also the same.....PF48/PH48/L12222 are all identical, so I buy whatever is the cheapest at the time.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I didn't buy the regular ones as they were smaller than my Mobil 1 filter. The classic is the same (longer) filter as the Mobil1 and look exactly like the PureOne grip filter just its all white. The gold filter was 8 dollars(would have been 4 with 50%). The classics were about 4.50 a peice. Examining both they looked exactly the same down to the bottom of the filter and all around. The normal filters(Premiums) were roughly 1inch shorter and didn't have the ADBV that the PureOne and Classic have.

In addition, the new Purolator Classic oil filter offers:

* Multi-fiber, high-density media which filters out harmful contaminants
* Internally lubricated Nitrile gasket that requires less torque for filter removal
* Anti-drainback valve** minimizes engine dry start

Yeah I thought they just changed the name from Prem Plus to Classic.

Are you sure they were the same filter #?

8 bucks for a gold PureOne is a rip off. At Advanced Auto they are like $5-6 and the PP/Classics are like $3.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
The PremiumPlus (the regular ones) are pretty good filters. They're excellent when you consider the cost. Much more surface area than a Fram/Ecore. The PureOne does have a bit more surface area, but the Premium Plus already has so much and you have a short OCI so I doubt it matters much. The PureOne also has a Silicone ADBV whereas the PremiumPlus has the Nitrile which isn't as pliable, especially as it ages. So if you get some ticking at startup, you might consider the upgrade.

FWIW, both my Accord and motorcycle both get 2 for 5dollar PremiumPluses. And I do ~7500 miles on the Accord in that time. I cut them open at the end of it. They look good.

How much media did it have? Purolator was once a mid grad filter comparable to ST and other Champ filters. The last L 10193 I cut open barely had more area than a PH 3950. I am going back to ST.

That Classic P/N is L and the PureOne was PL. I sat there and basically compared the two. Looked like the filter media was the same eyeing through the pour opening. Same architecture inside and they weighed the same(balance tested in R&S, yes I'm a geek). Definitely not Mobil 1 quality but seems like a good filter for literally 1/2 the cost. For 5k OCI's I was thinking it would be fine. I was almost tempted to start re-using my Mobil 1 filters, like change them out every other oil change but get mixed answers on that one.

If my Xterra didn't have a 3.5qt sump I would be all for running the filter and oil longer, but the UOA's here show that the X basically ate and spit out Mobil 1 oil in 5k's. TBN was shot.

the 50% deal is great and runs till Saturday so I may just go back and buy more. They have Bosch, Mobil 1, K&N(way to OP), Motorcraft, AC-Delco and Purolator/Powerflo/PureOne. Wish they had Wix.

Last edited:
No the Pureone has a silicone adbv versus nitrile in the PP/Classic. The pureone also has superior media.

I use pureone on my Altima and it is about an inch longer than the OEM Nissan filter. I was told there is a Purolator p/n that has the exact same dimensions as the OEM but haven't confirmed that since I'd rather have a larger filter anyway.

Last edited:
Well the media is different, but the size is exactly the same, at least for my Xterra, so no loss there. But if I am going to pay $8 for a pureone, i'd rather cough up 2 more dollars and buy the Mobil 1.

Yeah that's why I was saying $8 for a pureone is way too high. 6 bucks max.

And don't forget the Purolator rebate going on right now. $1 off their Classic filters, and $2 off PureOne filters

I think the Classics are the new name for the Premium Plus filters. I did notice on the box that the Classics claim an efficiency of 97.5% vs. 96% for the Premium Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back