Purolator Classic L14670, 90 Mi, 5 days cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one came off of a Jeep 99 GC 4.0L after just a week because of start-up tick. I didn't take a picture before I had it apart but it was because the ADBV was off center and didn't seal. No holes in the ADBV but the inlet holes were sharp and left an imprint but it didn't cut the rubber.

On the plus side: no tears! But then again, it was only on for a work-week. I didn't like the wavy media though. It was replaced by a circa-2009-2011 Pure One - don't judge me too harshly for that. I bought so many P1s because of the rebates in the past and that it was highly recommended at that time by everyone. It was before the tearing problems became obvious once people started opening them.

The current P1 on the Jeep will probably be replaced in another 2K-3K miles. I didn't do a full change of the oil. The vehicle burns about 1.5 qt/2K miles. It had 2800-miles on QSUD FS 10W30 before I put on this P-Classic filter. Added about 2 qts of Smitty's synblend HM in 10W-30.

Apologies for the quality of pictures - Nexus 4.

ri0HiAH.jpg

xHP7FNu.jpg

EKNHO55.jpg

GMTrSb6.jpg

Made July 1, 2015, Line "G" and 1st shift. Looks surprisingly good.

Off topic: you may want to get some rubber gloves from harbor freight or Wal Mart for your hands. Thanks for c&p
smile.gif

That wide pleat looks like it could tear at any moment. I suspect it would have torn before 1000 miles.

Apart from oil draining out on certain applications, does an off center adbv pose any other concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back