Purolator Classic 30001. 2800 miles. 54 week oci.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little uneasy after opening this filter due to rather large ferrous particles stuck to the can where I put the external magnets.

Every other time there was just a grey paste surrounding the areas of the magnets, now there is less paste and more chunky looking bits of Iron.

Last time I changed the oil, I had also installed a new Timing chain kit, and I hope this is just from that breaking in.

Here is a former photo showing the grey paste from 2 oci's ago:
filtermagnet.jpg

Here are today's photos:
puro30001classic.jpg

puro30001classic2.jpg

This was the dirtiest pleat I could find.
puromediapleats.jpg

The Oil was M1 10w 40 HM. Mostly very short trip driving in a mild climate.

That's just normal metal a filter would catch, the magnets just attracted it before it got into the filter element.

The larger ones would make me uneasy too though.

If you are really concerned leave the magnets off and have a UOA done next run, I would anyway for peace of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much metal can you be SURE did NOT come from cutting the can open? Don't like the black chunks. Maybe getting a UOA would be a good idea at the end of this run on 5w40 TDT.

The can was chiseled open, as I always do. Usually only while Purolator paint flakes get inside.

I was meaning to go thinner but got a deal on the TDT from a friend who bought it but then convinced himself he needed a 20w 50 instead

Oh man, you chiseled it. That doesn't look good, but keep using the magnets and just see what happens the next OCI. I wouldn't run it much past the 2800 miles that you ran in the year. maybe even change the filter at 6mo. because that thing was full of prospective abrasive metals.

Could very well be the new chain wearing in.
I have changed old timing chains and there is considerable metal gone off the sprocket teeth. That would be a reasonable explanation. Just cut your next couple filters open and see if the shavings go back down to your usual amount.

Originally Posted By: daman
Looks normal for a new chain breaking in and the carbon particles? probably from the HM cleaning.

I agree - don't sweat it.

IMO it wouldn't be normal for chains to wear with visible filings coming off. An Iron sprocket could, but I don't think that would be normal wear for a sprocket. Maybe another area such as sprocket bearing on the block. Looks like something to worry about to me.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
IMO it wouldn't be normal for chains to wear with visible filings coming off. An Iron sprocket could, but I don't think that would be normal wear for a sprocket. Maybe another area such as sprocket bearing on the block. Looks like something to worry about to me.

I agree ... those are pretty good sized metal particles.

I wonder how much of the metal stuck on the can would have been even visible without the magnets. If they were not there perhaps the metal would have been invisibly stuck in the pleats of the media instead.

In the photos you can see the rectangular shapes where the magnets were located. When I ran my finger across these rough looking rectangles it did not really feel like there were big abrasive chunks of metal, more like the ferrous metal powder that had clumped together with a random larger chunk of sand. It was not like rubbing a lot of sand, just a bunch of super fine grit, with a chunk or 2 in between. I cannot explain the more random chunks adhered to the side of the can. Every other time there was only stuff stuck to the can where the magnets were located.

I am not going to rip the engine apart over this. Obviously I would like to see no metal, but every time I've opened up a filter there has been some metal. The engine only used 1/2 quart in that 2800 mile 1 year oci. I have more than adequate oil pressure, and am getting as many MPG as can be expected. There are no bizarre engine noises going on. In fact the 5/40 TDT seems to have quietened it down a smidge when hot, more noticeable when cold, and it seems to run a little less crusty right after startup, even in my mild climate. It idles so smooth I frequently check the gauges cause I think it might have stalled.

All I can really do is send out a sample for an OA when I get some more miles on this oil, and open up the filter half way through just to see what's going on.

I have so far forgotten to re attach the magnets. I hope they are still stuck to my strut rod where I placed them.

Looks to me like the filter is doing it's job.

What is upstream of the filter is not nearly as important as what's downstream. Get a UOA and a PC next time if you're so concerned; I think you'll find things are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back