Purolator Boss 10241, 5310 miles C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Little slits in the ADV don't stress me out.
I would not waste my money or time with a filter that has such known defects--filters should not have torn media or cut ADBVs. Why would anyone use these when there are plenty of other filters on the market?

To address some of the questions posted. I've been cutting filters on this truck for about 50,000 miles or so now, they always come out with little to nothing in them save for a few flakes of aluminum paint that the machine shop sprayed on the under valve cover surface of the cylinder head (presumably to make it pretty, the entire head was painted with alumi-blast a common practice by rebuilders) and this filter was no different, had about 10-15 1mm2 flakes of aluminum paint and not much else to see.

As for the ADBV the filters dirty side was full of oil, the center clean side was dry when I pulled it off, however this happens with every filter I've ever used on this truck from all brands I've tried to include Fram, Lots and lots of CarQuest blue, Mann, Purolator, Motocraft, Toyota, Hastings and a few others that I'm probably forgetting. The drain back is the reason I switched from running the V-8 size Ford filter back to the smaller 3614 size filter, the switch back to the smaller filter has eliminated the momentary start up timing chain rattle. The truck currently has a BECK Arnley filter installed that I will C&P in another 5k.

All I'll add to this thread is that Mann-Hummel engineers and their quality assurance dept should be ashamed of themselves. Those perforations in the ADBV are built in as seen on new filters. Whether the perforations cause problems with drain back or not, it's an issue that needs to be addressed and corrected.

Here's their motto or mission statement, which is a joke,

"When it comes to protecting vehicles and drivers from dirt and debris, nothing gets by Purolator filters. Because nothing gets by our people."

Last edited:
"Nothing gets by Purolator filters, we know because we don't stamp our louvers open all the way to ensure that nothing gets by!"

All kidding aside, I suspect the media is dark in part because of the heavy dose of MOS2 contained in the oil. That being said, a good portion of the Moly was found settled out at the bottom of the 5L jug when I looked inside. The oil still came out Charcoal Grey when I initially added it, however that makes me wonder how much fell out of suspension in use. For the current oil change of my home blend from the stash I added the 5 quarts to the original 10w40 MOS2 jug and shook, let it sit for about 3 weeks then added about 1/2 the contents to the truck and shook again and added the second half. There was enough moly deposition in the jug that the initial half I poured in was a translucent grey, after shaking for about a minute the second half came out opaque dark charcoal grey just like the original oil looked from the package. Even after all this there is still a significant layer of what I suspect is moly deposited on the bottom of the jug.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
All I'll add to this thread is that Mann-Hummel engineers and their quality assurance dept should be ashamed of themselves. Those perforations in the ADBV are built in as seen on new filters. Whether the perforations cause problems with drain back or not, it's an issue that needs to be addressed and corrected.

Here's their motto or mission statement, which is a joke,

"When it comes to protecting vehicles and drivers from dirt and debris, nothing gets by Purolator filters. Because nothing gets by our people."

crackmeup2.gif
... +1

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Notice from other postings the OP has changed the oil often at 3k or less several times with several good makes of oil from surplus - Valvoline etc - and think I saw a run on Delvac 1 ...
I'd be inclined to think that motor only got cleaner during that period.
The UOA's were getting better on metals ...

4WD,

The truck lived on dealership 3k services for the first 255,120 miles of its life with whatever bulk oil they used in California and Arizona. All but 2 of my OCI have also been 3,000 miles save for one run to 5,000 on M1 5w30 and this current run to 5310 on LiquiMoly 10w40 MOS2. Truck has had at least a couple changes using Delvac and when I had it open to do the timing chain and head gasket about 35,000-40,000 miles ago it was spotless inside.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
those tiny louvers..

If you think those louvers are tiny, you should see the average main or rod bearing oil clearance
lol.gif

Not a very good analogy, as the filter supplies the whole engine's oil flow volume, not just a tight bearing or two. Some engines flow 10~12 GPM at high revs.

The question was rhetorical, it was an appeal to sensibility that those louvers, all 150+? of them, are considerably larger than any bearing clearance in the engine, and by a large margin. Even cold oil manages to move through the tightest oiling clearance like a main or rod bearing. When I first discovered louvered filters, my immediate reaction was the same until I thought about it for a bit.
I think the louvers are fine.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
those tiny louvers..

If you think those louvers are tiny, you should see the average main or rod bearing oil clearance
lol.gif

Not a very good analogy, as the filter supplies the whole engine's oil flow volume, not just a tight bearing or two. Some engines flow 10~12 GPM at high revs.

The question was rhetorical, it was an appeal to sensibility that those louvers, all 150+? of them, are considerably larger than any bearing clearance in the engine, and by a large margin. Even cold oil manages to move through the tightest oiling clearance like a main or rod bearing. When I first discovered louvered filters, my immediate reaction was the same until I thought about it for a bit.
I think the louvers are fine.

Louvers are fine ... IF they are not closed up like the photos I posted above.

But again, a Full Flow oil filter supplies all the oil volume to the engine, so saying that closed up louvers are still OK because main and rod bearings are tight isn't a very good analogy ... that was my point. You think those main and rod bearings are using all of the 10~12 GPM a high performance engine flows? They aren't ... there are many other parts of the engine that needs oil flow too. Like I said before ... bad analogy.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
There's too much frickin' drama on this forum! It's the main thing that has kept me away from this website! SMH!

I find that consuming Scotch makes it much easier to deal with some forums. Seriously though, when you learn to ignore the irrelevant bee-sss, there's lots to be learned from forums.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
No, I wouldn't... But that's not what the OP's louvers look like.

Didn't say the OP had bad louvers ... but I am saying that louvers need to be formed correctly or there certainly could be a problem. Some people think all louvers are made the same, but they certainly are not. You get some louvers like in the photos I showed above and it could cause the filter to go into bypass when it really shouldn't.
Coulda' woulda' shoulda' as per usual with this clairvoyant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3

...........The truck lived on dealership 3k services for the first 255,120 miles of its life with whatever bulk oil they used in California and Arizona. All but 2 of my OCI have also been 3,000 miles save for one run to 5,000 on M1 5w30 and this current run to 5310...........
Truck has had at least a couple changes using Delvac and when I had it open to do the timing chain and head gasket about 35,000-40,000 miles ago it was spotless inside.

Roughly 104 oil changes over the life of the engine, all but two at 3k miles. It oughta be spotless! And apparently the brand and weight of bulk oil used each time was not relevant to the engine's current condition.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
There's too much frickin' drama on this forum! It's the main thing that has kept me away from this website! SMH!

Time for a cold one.
cheers3.gif

Looks good, same filter called for on my truck. I don't run my oil long enough to justify a big fancy filter like that, though. So I just use the Purolator jobber filters we have at work. Pretty much the same as a Purolator Classic with a slightly less efficient media. Got a couple I am planning to cut open this week sometimes, both new and used. Cut ADBV isn't a big concern, but torn media would worry me most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back