Purolater Pure one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get this oil filter for about half the price of a mobil one, or K&N filter. I heard rumor about this filter being somewhat "restrictive" and not flowing as good as the others mentioned. What does everyone think?

Pure One is a great value and a fine filter. I use them with total confidence, just put one on a 3.0L Honda under warranty. Forget the "rumors", use with confidence.
thumbsup2.gif

They now have a rebate from Purolator and great prices at Amazon. Also a great deal with rebate and AAP $10 coopin on promo board.

I ran a Pure One in my VW Bus with an OP guage downstream of the filter and the pressure was excellent coming out of the filter. Of all the filters I have used and observed the OP in varying conditions, this was one of the better ones.
You can probably go to the next larger size Pure One that meets all the same specifications as the original as long as space permits. I like to use a longer filter than OEM in when in a Pure One. Probably not necessary at all, but I do that with a lot of filters.
My 2 cents.

I would consider a PureOne to be the same quality as those other filters mentioned, and for the same reason [price] I tend to run a lot of them. Napa Golds are another good filter you can usually get for 6 bucks or so.

It may not flow as good as some other filters. But it also filters better than almost all filters. Flow rate is not a big issue for most people.

I have been using Purolator PureOne filters in my Ford Explorer and Chevy Cavalier for many years now. Combined with Mobil 1 I think it makes a very strong package.

Buy it and use it. It's a great deal on a fine filter. Just use it long enough to warrant the price difference between it and a $3.xx filter.

The only engines where a pureone will be a restriction issue will be Harley Davidson EVO and TC engines that use a volume gerotor oil pump.

Well, I imagine that there are others, but they'll be of higher volume/visc status at some point or all the time. Oil visc/volume/etc. are a compromise since they change radically from start up through the full range of operation.

Just be careful with the yellow sand-coated ones. The past three I've purchased had overspray on the baseplate along with the grit. Inspect them under good light to look for it.

I eventually defected them out for some ACDelcos for my application.

I believe Purolator says that their packing of a volumous amount of filtration material in their cans prevents any problems with restriction. I use them (PureONEs) exclusively.

All this talk about flow rate and the PURE-ONE? Perhaps Gary can explain, but to me, if you've got a good filter with an exceptional media working for you... wouldn't you expect a lower flow rate due to restriction as it cleans?

Originally Posted By: daman
does anyone have one(yellow) cut open compared to the old blue style? are they the same,media??

Dan, I have an new, old style blue one in the box (don't have the car it fits anymore.) I can buy a new one of the same type and cut and post pics. Give me a day or two and I will do that if you like.

I don't use the gold ones for the above mentioned overspray. Sadly, every gold P1 I have every opened had overspray...some of them even had visible overspray inside the filter. I wish they wouldn't spray that textured stuff all the way to the top of the filter.

I have bought 5 or 6 Pure ones, all the yellow textures ones.
None had overspray inside the filter. From what I understand, that was a problem they had when they first started using it, and was corrected some time ago.

I just had my oil changed on my 03 Honda CRV at my local Honda dealer and I brought with me a PureOne PL14610 for them to install. I refuse to have the FRAM made Honda filter on my vehicle. The guy at the service counter asked me the reason for using the PureOne and told him the truth that it was better made in the USA with metal end caps than their Canadian made filter with cardboard endcaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back