Purolater Pure one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pzev
How about you both agree to disagree.

Your arguing over something that is pointless to anyone reading this board...and anyone who would need such information is most likely already in the know.

I doubt it's a pointless (maybe to you) ... and if everyone was "in the know" about such information then I'd expect a few of these other knowledgeable people to chime in and help to clarify and nip these kind of discussions in the bud instead of letting them go on and on between me and Gary.

BTW - good pixs of the old vs. new PureONE. Doesn't look like it really changed on the inside much. I see they no longer use the string around the element ... what was that for anyway?

Originally Posted By: daman

move the jars father away the (white) shadow is carrying over to the next jar it looks like..

Better yet ... put some kind of uniform backlight on them ... that will help judge the difference in clarity of the oil in each bottle.

Lighting? Colors? Clarity?

I thought you guys were real enthusiasts.

You have to TASTE it. Only then will you know which is better.

Originally Posted By: daman
I'd say too,going to use it noooo problem!!!

Me too. I have to defer to the 99.9% rating from an actual approved lab test rather than saying "they look the same to me held up to the sunlight."
And they definitely flow better than the old ones. Have to have a more advanced media now.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
etter yet ... put some kind of uniform backlight on them ... that will help judge the difference in clarity of the oil in each bottle.

I could get fancy and do what you said with a light meter and see what passes more light...I actually thought about doing that.
This is good enough for me though for comparison between filter brands. I can see a difference between many of them.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Lighting? Colors? Clarity?

I thought you guys were real enthusiasts.

You have to TASTE it. Only then will you know which is better.

Put in in a wine glass and swirl it around and sniff it?
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
O just purchase a fricken oil filter and change your oil...

well what fun what that be??

How about getting a hand crank barrel pump? Put the suction end into your brew, and have the output rigged onto a cheap remote oil filter base.
This way you could test each filter intact, and simply examine the output oil once its passed through the filter. You can get some GM application filters, with no bypass...

You would have to clean the pump between tests.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_137382_137382

Originally Posted By: cronk
I have bought 5 or 6 Pure ones, all the yellow textures ones.
None had overspray inside the filter. From what I understand, that was a problem they had when they first started using it, and was corrected some time ago.

Just checked mine....no overspray one any of the 8 I have.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
O just purchase a fricken oil filter and change your oil...

It's not due yet.
48.gif

How about getting a hand crank barrel pump?

Good idea, but sounds like money. I'm a poor, 40-something-year-old-back-in-college-student.
21.gif

I know the feeling lol! (not 40, but a poor college student!!)

The pumps can be had for around $20-$30, with the filter mount costing around the same amount. Could probobly make it for around $70, but honestly it would be a one us item and would be hard to justify.
If I ever get some spare cash, like say when I find work lol, I might throw something like this together. Kudos on the talc tip...didn't know it was all around 10 microns.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: cronk
I have bought 5 or 6 Pure ones, all the yellow textures ones.
None had overspray inside the filter. From what I understand, that was a problem they had when they first started using it, and was corrected some time ago.

Just checked mine....no overspray one any of the 8 I have.
21.gif

Somewhat of an urban legend, kept alive by some anal non Purolator fans. Perhaps in the early stages of the new design there may have been some loss of the coating, wouldn't call it overspray, but I never saw anything inside the filter. So the worst was you perhaps had to wipe off some flecks off the base. Some said the same thing about the AAP Total Grip that I have 7 of and it's never been a problem either.

You should always look in the box before you buy any filter anyways, IMO.

Urban legend my [censored], I personally inspected filters with gold flakes on and around the sealing gasket, and some even had them down the center tube.

This issue may have been corrected, but my trust in this design will never be restored. Its a shame, as I loved the blue can P1, and would love to run the new version. The thought of those gold flakes being where they were not supposed to be would keep me from sleeping; sadly I'll have to pass until they change the can again.

Last edited:
Kudos on the talc tip...didn't know it was all around 10 microns.
Cheers!

Thanks, well, I've used household flour with good results, but according to the Filter Council they list examples on their website and show talcum powder at 10 microns. I'm sure that's an average and the grains vary around that.
But for comparing different filter medias, I figure anything that partly filters out is good. Obviously if it all filtered, they'd all look good. If none of it did, they'd all look bad.
Anything that goes from milky slop to varying shades of oil works good.
Hmmm... maybe even try using some blue chalk powder in the squeeze bottle. I have some for refilling my carpenter's chalkline. That might be easy to "read" because of the tint.
Urban legend my [censored], I personally inspected filters with gold flakes on and around the sealing gasket, and some even had them down the center tube.

Yes, I'll use them without worries, but I do look and feel in the box and in the filter tube of all filters before I buy it. I also blow into the tube to see if the ADBV seems to be sealing before I buy.
I found a regular Purolator Premium on the store shelf several years ago that had hard, sharp loose chunks of endcap glue in the center tube. Check all filters. Poop happens.

Even if one of them small particles made it's way into the engine what damage would it do? it's not like it's a stone floating around in there there so tinny wouldn't do a thing.

Heck them $1.45 AAP filters are covered in it i'll use it no problem.

I recon it would likely either sink to the bottom of the pan or get filtered out. Still I check 'em. Don't want it lodging in a lifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back