Purolater One VS Motorcraft AF

This is for a 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer. Given the choice would you choose a Purolater One Synthetic air filter with up to 99% efficiency or the standard Motorcraft air filter. I have no idea what the efficiency of the Motorcraft air filter is. The Pur One is $1 more than the Motorcraft, so cost is not an issue. I tend to not change the air filter frequently or even in the 30,000 mile recommendation it seems, currently at 46,000 miles on the Motorcraft air filter, my bad :rolleyes: . Though I change all the vehicle fluids more frequently than specified, go figure.

The difference in filtering efficiency between paper air filters is pretty negligible. Your motorcraft filter should filter 98.5% or more of course media as per RockAuto

AFAIK, Motorcraft Oil filters are made by Purolator. (USA MADE). I can't say the same about their air filters because some of them look nearly identical to some Denso part numbers.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I'll stick with the Motorcraft. Even if it's media is not as "efficient" as the Purolator's there is a better chance that the filter's fit in the air filter box is better in not allowing dirt to bypass the filter media.

Thanks all, I'll stick with the Motorcraft. Even if it's media is not as "efficient" as the Purolator's there is a better chance that the filter's fit in the air filter box is better in not allowing dirt to bypass the filter media.
As it ages it will filter even better.

I usually use Wix or AcDelco air filters but had some points or speed perks at AAP so I tried the Purolator in my Lucerne and was pretty impressed with the build and fit.

Purolator probably made in China. Maybe the Motorcraft too, but at least it's manufacturing is overseen by Ford.
I just replaced the original Motorcraft in my F-150. The new M/C is stamped "made in Mexico". Looked just like the original.

AFAIK, Motorcraft Oil filters are made by Purolator. (USA MADE). I can't say the same about their air filters because some of them look nearly identical to some Denso part numbers.
M+H is a global enterprise. The non-truck based CUVs from Ford(Escape/EcoSport/Edge) are based on European Ford platforms and could be using Mann filters from Germany/Poland/Hungary/China.

Back