Purol Synthetic Oil - Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if there are any other users besides myself in here using this oil? I've ran it for a while now and got an oil analysis done by Blackstone recently. I'm seeing great results on my Subaru 2.5L turbo that sees hard use. I'm running 10w40 on my engine. I've been in the auto industry for over 25 yrs, started working for Super Shops back in early 90's, managed auto repair - I've built a few cars, (ex. 69 Chevy Camaro SS, couple Mustang Fox bodies and restored like 5 classic Chevy Impala's and a few other projects) I got into the tuner cars a few years ago, built a Honda (of course) and now moved into the Subaru. All of my cars have been performance built and driven hard so oil lubrication and performance is huge for me. Anyone else try Purol or have feedback they can share? It's hard finding testimonials but I've seen their stuff all over social media and how I became aware of it.

Here's a link to the analysis on: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...L_T#Post3601592

Originally Posted By: jdavis
What's the price like compared to M1 0w-40 at Walmart for $23-26 a jug?

I buy it for $15qt., so a bit more at $75 for 5 qts. compared to $25 jug of M1 - much difference in both oils though. I use M1 10w30 on my Nissan Pathfinder with 180k+ miles.

Originally Posted By: AWDatTQ
Originally Posted By: jdavis
What's the price like compared to M1 0w-40 at Walmart for $23-26 a jug?

I buy it for $15qt., so a bit more at $75 for 5 qts. compared to $25 jug of M1 - much difference in both oils though. I use M1 10w30 on my Nissan Pathfinder with 180k+ miles.

Ouch!

Can't say I see any benefit in using an extremely overpriced oil, but its your vehicle. What do you gain versus using any of the other fine oils on the shelf at WM?

A small local parts store near my house has Redline oil at $7/qt, if I track my S2000 I probably would use Redline instead of conventional 10W30.

A very well known oil for half the price of virtually unknown brand !!!

I can't see paying that much for oil, redline and amsoil doesn't cost that much and they are some of the best for long drains. Just my opinion and I am guilty of doing what I like not matter what others think, so if that makes you sleep better and feel good by all means, go all out. UOA looks good though, but several others look good also.

Originally Posted By: LotI
So if I send an email to sales@purol will you reply directly to me?

LOL, nope. They have posted my car on their social media though. I own and operate an income tax office. Restoring & modifying cars has always been my hobby.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Can't say I see any benefit in using an extremely overpriced oil, but its your vehicle. What do you gain versus using any of the other fine oils on the shelf at WM?

I was looking at the for high levels of the protective additives. Peace of mind. Extremely overpriced? I don't think so as I compare this more to high end, race versions of other all the high end "popular" brands out there. Its priced accordingly when you look at other brand name and equivalent additive oils.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
A small local parts store near my house has Redline oil at $7/qt, if I track my S2000 I probably would use Redline instead of conventional 10W30.

Popularity is not my way of choosing something I want/need. It's all a matter of choice; what you're looking for in a product. I buy my 6 qt. box of M1 at Costco for my Nissan. Different engine, different use, different priorities.

Originally Posted By: jaynissan12
I can't see paying that much for oil, redline and amsoil doesn't cost that much and they are some of the best for long drains. Just my opinion and I am guilty of doing what I like not matter what others think, so if that makes you sleep better and feel good by all means, go all out. UOA looks good though, but several others look good also.
Thanks, that's my way of looking at this. I'm used to paying $100+ on previous 5-series for oil change so it's not about the money.

Originally Posted By: buster
Why so much ZDP?

I honestly couldn't answer that straight, but would guesspect that its what the additive formulation requires to meet their goals.

Popularity is not my way of choosing something I want/need. It's all a matter of choice; what you're looking for in a product. I buy my 6 qt. box of M1 at Costco for my Nissan. Different engine, different use, different priorities.

But analyzing the oil quality and popularity (or high market share) you will see that they are in the same boat.

Exxon/Mobil is a very large corporation with multimillion dollars in R&D each year, they have the most market share in synthetic oil in US and they want to be in that position forever. To be the top selling synthetic oil in US they spend very large sum to keep it as good or better than other synthetic oil at their price target with large sum spent on R&D and including quality control on every step along the production line.

Small company that sell few thousands quarts at elevated price a year don't have money for R&D and production quality control is lacking too.

But, Your Money Your Choice. You can buy and use "Star" oil in your engine, nobody can stop you.

I'm sure it's a great oil but M1 0w40, for instance, has enough certifications and high end performance car OEM approvals (Nissan GT-R, Porsche etc.), that it and a few other oils in its price range would suffice for me. Not saying its better or worse, just pointing out my priorities.

Exxon/Mobil is a very large corporation with multimillion dollars in R&D each year, they have the most market share in synthetic oil in US and they want to be in that position forever. To be the top selling synthetic oil in US they spend very large sum to keep it as good or better than other synthetic oil at their price target with large sum spent on R&D and including quality control on every step along the production line.

Small company that sell few thousands quarts at elevated price a year don't have money for R&D and production quality control is lacking too.

But, Your Money Your Choice. You can buy and use "Star" oil in your engine, nobody can stop you.

Maybe so... but based on my findings, the cost of the base oil is one thing.. Another cost is additives and so forth. You may have a point in regards to cost, i'm no expert in the bottom line costs, procedures, r&d, lab testing and quality control; all I can say is that its working for my engine. One thing would be to come in here and brag about how great it is without even providing a UOA. I, in no way called it a "star" oil, but you did. Hey, its not for everyone right?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
I'm sure it's a great oil but M1 0w40, for instance, has enough certifications and high end performance car OEM approvals (Nissan GT-R, Porsche etc.), that it and a few other oils in its price range would suffice for me. Not saying its better or worse, just pointing out my priorities.

You're right, the fact is though, that there are auto enthusiast like myself who give their engines, more than the average use. It is why I chose to try Purol; and after testing, feeling good about my choice. I have a friend with an M6, the Castrol at dealer cost him $16-18 qt. and he switched to Purol for the lower cost. We're into motorsports, racing at the track, rally events, etc - I don't run my Pathfinder hard and for that reason, like you said... M1 works just fine on my Nissan. Again... I go to Costco to buy a case, let the shop supply a Group 7 filter and call it a day. For my WRX, I wanted something better, it needed to exceed OEM and Purol is doing just that for me.

Last edited:
We're into motorsports, racing at the track, rally events, etc - I don't run my Pathfinder hard and for that reason, like you said... M1 works just fine on my Nissan. Again... I go to Costco to buy a case, let the shop supply a Group 7 filter and call it a day. For my WRX, I wanted something better, it needed to exceed OEM and Purol is doing just that for me.

M1 works just fine for plenty of works teams, too, including at the 24 Hours Nürburgring.

I guess its like in the 90's up to the mid 2000's when we rallyed VWs in the SCCA and autocrossed my EVO VIII, Royal Purple was our choice back then. But I'm not so sure M1/Edge 0w40 or PU couldn't stand up to that abuse now a days. As you stated, it's not for everyone but I'm glad you found a product that works for you.

Originally Posted By: Garak
We're into motorsports, racing at the track, rally events, etc - I don't run my Pathfinder hard and for that reason, like you said... M1 works just fine on my Nissan. Again... I go to Costco to buy a case, let the shop supply a Group 7 filter and call it a day. For my WRX, I wanted something better, it needed to exceed OEM and Purol is doing just that for me.

M1 works just fine for plenty of works teams, too, including at the 24 Hours Nürburgring.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back