PureOnes from 1998 - Still Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just used a motorcraft fl-1a purchased in 2001. Was on a shelf in box inside the house. If your storage area is a good climate to not mess up the rubber seals go for it. I dunno about leaving them on forever and skipping an oil change but surely do a 3000mi on them.

I used an old AC47 oil filter in 2006 that I purchased for my dad's Pontiac in 1994. The UOA was great with low insolubles. The synthetic oil was also about 12 years old (SH rated Valvoline) which I used for 7K. I think if you store them properly you'd have no problem. If they were in an unheated garage and saw extreme heat then extreme cold I might stay with a short 3K OCI as the previous poster suggests.

Originally Posted By: Shagger
I have about 20 PureOnes for a 1998 Dodge Caravan sitting in my garage. Are they still good? Or should I pitch them?

As long as the base plate is not rusted I'd use them without hesitation.

AD

Originally Posted By: steveh
If you had Frams you would not have to worry about the end caps rusting out!!

^^yea just the glue giving out and the paper end caps peeling off!!
37.gif

OP use them filters they will be fine.

I took a 5 year old Wix back to O'Reily's recently since I had the receipt and they accepted the return, but due to possible drying out of the rubber they sent it back to the manufacturer as a straight return. I then got the Wix that fit my current car. It's on there now.

If you have 20 of them, sacrifice one by cutting it open and take a look inside to see if anything has deteriorated. I'd be concerned about the rubber parts and any glue used inside.

Originally Posted By: Shagger
I have about 20 PureOnes for a 1998 Dodge Caravan sitting in my garage. Are they still good? Or should I pitch them?

what i was told when i worked for a freightliner dealer in bozeman by the luberfiner dealer is that oil and air filters are really only good for about seven years, after that they are compromised. rubber drying up and paper has deteriorated

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brian12

Cut one open and check it out?

i agree. cut one open and check it out. i really dont think u will even use all 20. when cut open, compare it to a new filter by looking at the filter media. is it dried out compared to a new one etc?

I cut open a 20 year old fram and the rubber ADBV and paper media were pliable and nothing approaching dust or fragility.

I know it's not an oil filter, but I'm using a Purolator air filter in my car from 1998 right now. The media seemed perfect, and looked brand new so I went ahead and used it anyways. So far, so good..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back