PureOne vs Mobil 1 vs Amsoil in Non-Extended Drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Since I've been reading different results on oil filters and the great info on this site, I have come up with a question.

In non-extended drain intervals, what filter is the best option?

For example, I have been running Amsoil Marine 10w30 oil and an Eao15 filter on my EFI Ford 302 Boat engine. I have changed the oil and drive fluid at the end of each season before I store it for the winter. I plan on continuing using the Amsoil Oil in it, but after seeing that the Mobil 1 filter may actually be better than the Amsoil filter, I am thinking about changing. I don't know what the mileage equivalent of a summer of boating is.

Also, my "summer car" is a 06 Mitsu Eclipse 3.8l v6 that I have run Amsoil 0w30 and an Eao13 filter since it was new. I have about 23k on the car right now, and it would be LUCKY to ever see 10k on the oil. Again, same thing, I change the oil and filter before I store the car for the summer.

Would I be better off using the PureONE filter (which I have read on this site that it seems to be an excellent filter) or even a Mobil 1 filter, or should I just stick with the Amsoil filter?

Honestly, they are all great filters, and for short intervals go with the one that costs the least. The pureone filters are very good, I myself love the Mobil 1 filters but only use them when I get them on sale(2 for 10). I've usually run Pennzoil filters or Puralator(now the classics since those are what I used to run). The Pennzoil filters because my buddy gets about 1k of them in bulk and I can nab em for pocket change if I need em.

I am still not totally clear on the PureOne filters. I remember years ago someone did a test on all these filters, and though the PureONE seemed to trap the smaller micron's, I vaguely remember something about worry's about the filter loading up? I don't know if that is something to worry about or not. And again, on their 99.9% efficiency, they use the same test as Amsoil's claim of 98.7 however they run their test at 15micron vs Purolators 20micron. And I've seen nothing from Mobil one with numbers.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Honestly, they are all great filters, and for short intervals go with the one that costs the least. The pureone filters are very good, I myself love the Mobil 1 filters but only use them when I get them on sale(2 for 10). I've usually run Pennzoil filters or Puralator(now the classics since those are what I used to run). The Pennzoil filters because my buddy gets about 1k of them in bulk and I can nab em for pocket change if I need em.

Where do you find the 2 for $10?? I just picked up 5qts of M1 0w30 and a M1 filter for my girlfriends car, at $29.99 from Pep Boys. I thought it sounded like a good deal so I grabbed it. And then someone also let me know about a $10 rebate, so after waiting for a check from Mobil we are talking about $20 for oil and a filter.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
I am still not totally clear on the PureOne filters. I remember years ago someone did a test on all these filters, and though the PureONE seemed to trap the smaller micron's, I vaguely remember something about worry's about the filter loading up? I don't know if that is something to worry about or not. And again, on their 99.9% efficiency, they use the same test as Amsoil's claim of 98.7 however they run their test at 15micron vs Purolators 20micron. And I've seen nothing from Mobil one with numbers.

start with post #1532903 and read on,great filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1532469&fpart=1

Where do you find the 2 for $10?? I just picked up 5qts of M1 0w30 and a M1 filter for my girlfriends car, at $29.99 from Pep Boys. I thought it sounded like a good deal so I grabbed it. And then someone also let me know about a $10 rebate, so after waiting for a check from Mobil we are talking about $20 for oil and a filter.

My two local R&S Strauss's occassionally have a 50% off sale on Oil and Air filters. I made out last time due to one being a re-opening of the store, so I bought 2 for $10 Mobil 1 filters and 2 for $5 Puralator Classics. I'm set on oil changes for a while =)

Originally Posted By: qship1996
My vote goes to the mobil 1 filter, with the Pure One being second choice.

That's right.

premium type oil filters aren't really needed unless you are extending oil change intervals . Worry about the air filter and its seal.

My two local R&S Strauss's occassionally have a 50% off sale on Oil and Air filters. I made out last time due to one being a re-opening of the store, so I bought 2 for $10 Mobil 1 filters and 2 for $5 Puralator Classics. I'm set on oil changes for a while =)

Bummer, I don't one of those around here, never even heard of it =)

My local walmart sells M1 filters for $7.80, which is the cheapest I have seen it. Unfortunately, they are closing them out, and my size was cleared out. I did score 1 however...which I am currently running.

For long drains, I would trust an M1 more, that said, a P1 would be fine up to 10k. I am going to run my current m1 to 15k, then cut it open, along with a bunch of other filters I have been keeping.

Originally Posted By: pzev
My local walmart sells M1 filters for $7.80, which is the cheapest I have seen it. Unfortunately, they are closing them out, and my size was cleared out. I did score 1 however...which I am currently running.

For long drains, I would trust an M1 more, that said, a P1 would be fine up to 10k. I am going to run my current m1 to 15k, then cut it open, along with a bunch of other filters I have been keeping.

My Walmart only carry's all the different FRAM Lines, Super Tech, a couple of MOPAR filters and a couple of MOTORCRAFT. No Mobil 1
frown.gif

Purolator will give you their micron filtration all the way down to 5 microns. I don't have my copy with me, but I remember they beat Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal Purple in every catagory. True, they are not a long OCI filter. I do recall the PureOne was just above 99% at 15 microns.

I tested a used PureOne with 9k+ on it. Another member sent it to me. It was fine for continued use. I figured that it would still be good (not rendered dysfunctional) easily to 15k. Again, the 15k can't be in Aunt Bessie's church are traveling 3miles at a clip.

Originally Posted By: daman

start with post #1532903 and read on,great filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1532469&fpart=1

+1 Excellent link. Non extended drain interval, by on price. P1 an excellent value.

Here's what Purolator sent me on the PureONE's filtering efficiency:

25 microns - 100%
20 microns - 99.9%
15 microns - 99.2%
10 microns - 92.8%
5 microns - 51.3%
thumbsup2.gif

Just got off the phone with Mobil 1's filter hot line (800-882-0890), where I was told that their filter is rated at 99.2% at 20 microns, and 50% at 10 microns (vs 92.8% for the PureONE)(he had no availble data for 15 and 5 microns). As a long term filter, like Amsoil's and Royal Purples [99% @ 25 microns], there fine. But for anything under 10k, I would stay with Purolator's PureONE.
34.gif

SORRY FOR THE MULTIPLE POSTINGS!
blush.gif
But also just tried to call Royal Purple for efficiency ratings on their filter and, was given the same 800 number as Mobil 1's: to Champion. Does anyone know if Champion is owned by China?
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back