Pure One Filter Oil supply holes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried a Pure One filter for the first time and was suprised how small the oil supply holes were on the filter. The number of holes was the same but much smaller. Has any one else noticed this, and do you think it has good enough flow capabilities through the filter. I have been using EAO 32's on my 5.3L Chevy, but since I don't get true value from them(change every 5000mi.) I decided that $13.00 a filter was not justified on short OCI's. I use either Amsoil XL 5w30 or PP 5w30.
Thanks.

The oil supply holes are fine, really. Go 7500 miles on this oil and filter and save a few bucks. It's capable of that and more, in my experience, with either of those oils and the PureOne filter.

If you must change the oil at 5k miles why not simply dump the oil and keep using the filter for a more reasonable change interval say every 3rd oci's?

I used to love the pure one and have used them for years but since the company changed hands a few years ago they seem to be losing quality do to cost cutting. If I was not going to use EAO filters I would stay with one of the Wix options like a Napa gold or a Carquest which cost roughly the same as a Pure one. I would also use Donaldson filters if you have them available to you. Stop at a Napa or Carquest and compare the weight and obvious quality of the filter.

I have used the PureOne PL15241 on one of my vehicles almost exclusively for over 9 years. I too have been concerned about the size and shape of the supply holes. They definately appear smaller than other filters I've tried. Even the construction and design of the filter looks inferior to some others of tried. I've also wondered if the filtering efficiency isn't overkill. With all of these negative thoughts, why do I continue to use it? The only reason is that I have found the ADBV to be consistently the best of any others of tried.

I asked Purolator for their Beta numbers and their flow numbers. This is what they told me.

Quote:
Hi Peter,

Filter's are tested for Flow characteristics up to 18.5 gpm and Filter life is tested at 3 gpm and terminating differential pressure of 8 psi. per International test standards - SAE HS 806 and ISO 4548.

Flow characteristics for Purolator PureOne and Premium filters are comparable for each size and applications and are with in design specification limits.

Flow and Pressure ratings are always application dependent. Same filter will be subjected to different Pressure ratings and Flow ratings depending upon the vehicle - engine design.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Most Friendly Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Measure the supply holes. Add them up. Measure the ID of the threaded stud that you spin it on to. I think if you placed all the hole's "knockouts" in a group, it would probably have a bigger surface area than the ID of the threaded stud.

Plagiarist!
01.gif

Nothing here to make me switch. Anecdotal impressions, opinion and information. As has been said many times, Puro CS is solid, peterdes post shows that. Pete C./Gary Allan post explain flow question adequetely enough for me. JMO

Thanks to all. I mainly change the oil at 5,000 mi OCI's because that is about 6 months for me, and I have always just changed the oil twice a year spring and fall. I know the oils I use can go longer, but I guess I just feel good knowing the oil is clean!

Originally Posted By: peterdes
I asked Purolator for their Beta numbers and their flow numbers. This is what they told me.

Hi Peter,

Filter's are tested for Flow characteristics up to 18.5 gpm and Filter life is tested at 3 gpm and terminating differential pressure of 8 psi. per International test standards - SAE HS 806 and ISO 4548.

Flow characteristics for Purolator PureOne and Premium filters are comparable for each size and applications and are with in design specification limits.

Flow and Pressure ratings are always application dependent. Same filter will be subjected to different Pressure ratings and Flow ratings depending upon the vehicle - engine design.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Most Friendly Regards,

Interesting info about SAE HS 806 and ISO 4548 test standards. I'd like to see the PSID vs. Flowrate graph of a new PureONE filter. They say they test flow upto 18.5 gpm, but at what flow rate does the 8 psi by-pass valve start to open? ... and I'm assuming this is with hot oil (~200 F)? - the test standard might stipulate the oil viscosity/temp spec for the flow testing. I've tried getting this info from them, but Purolator will not divulge the info.

Quote:
and I'm assuming this is with hot oil (~200 F)?

The test probably spec's a given visc ..regardless of temp. That is, it has to be at the spec visc at whatever your test temp may be ..not that visc @ 100C or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back