Pure one Air Filter clogged my MAF with oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed my air filter in my altima to a Pure one filter about 3 months ago. I noticed first thing out of the box it has a coating of oil which we all know why. Any way Ive noticed that the altima is getting harder to start and sometimes stumbles at idle but I dont have a CEL. I decided to clean the MAF and noticed it had an oily coating on it. I cleaned it with MAF cleaner and now it starts and idles better than ever. Just my observation but I dont know how else my MAF would have got covered in oil. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Had to be the air filter since nothing else upstream could introduce oil to the MAF sensor.

The maf is way before the pcv. Btw it was a clear gold color. oh and the maf is literally an inch from filter.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning. Some people have been saying this for years and I think you're right. Why does Purolator oil their elements when this is a known issue? Makes no sense.

Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
Thanks for the warning. Some people have been saying this for years and I think you're right. Why does Purolator oil their elements when this is a known issue? Makes no sense.

I wonder the same thing. I knew some people here would be sarcastic and mention other causes like pcv but last time I checked the flow goes from the MAF to the pcv. Not the other way around. I also never had this issue when using dry filters.I just wanted to let people know. I like pure one filters but I probably wont be using these air filters again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Next their air filters will have media pleat tears..

Uh oh.... Maybe I shouldve checked. But in all seriousness it catches a lot more particles than the dry filters Ive ran. I noticed in the first couple weeks of use that the filter had alot more dirt trapped in the pleats and on the edges than any dry filter Ive used.

I have to chuckle at the dedicated purohaters regarding some Purolator preoiled air filters as if it's something unique to Purolator.

Fram Tough Guard AF come with a pre-oiled media AF also, so guess they selling known issue AF filters too then. As the link says, " Pre-oiled media formulated for attracting and capturing smaller dirt and dust particles provides increased dirt holding capacity"

http://www.fram.com/air-filters/fram-tough-guard-air-filter.aspx#2

Now I don't use the TG because I had heard/read about some rumors about possible issue with MAF sensors. But a member river rat who did some excellent testing on oil filters for the OF board, found that the oil media type tested best for him and he pm'ed the results with pics some time ago. I asked about the MAF rumors and he dismissed them. I think Hondas AF may come lightly preoiled too, as they also come in cello wrap and seem somewhat oily.

Bottom line, car seems MAF sensitive to pre oiled AFs, use a non oiled media AF. I wouldn't blame Purolator here.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I have to chuckle at the dedicated purohaters regarding some Purolator preoiled air filters as if it's something unique to Purolator.

Fram Tough Guard AF come with a pre-oiled media AF also, so guess they selling known issue AF filters too then. As the link says, " Pre-oiled media formulated for attracting and capturing smaller dirt and dust particles provides increased dirt holding capacity"

http://www.fram.com/air-filters/fram-tough-guard-air-filter.aspx#2

Now I don't use the TG because I had heard/read about some rumors about possible issue with MAF sensors. But a member river rat who did some excellent testing on oil filters for the OF board, found that oil type tested best for him and he pm'ed the results with pics some time ago. I asked about the MAF rumors and he dismissed them. I think Hondas AF may come lightly preoiled too, as they also come in cello wrap and seem somewhat oily.

Bottom line, car seems MAF sensitive to pre oiled AFs, use a non oiled media AF. I wouldn't blame Purolator here.

Im not a purohater by any means but I wonder why they would make pre-oiled filters for some cars like mine where the maf is extremely close to it. Id think the Pure One for my car would come in dry form. Idk.

^^^And not my intention to imply that you were/are such. Can't answer the question about your specific application as I don't use Puro AF's, I use Fram EG AF's or oem. I'd just choose another brand that's not pre oiled from this point on. But the preoiled type aren't unique to Puro and don''t appear to be uncommon.

I have a PureOne air filter right now, and I like the tackifying oil they use. I like the tough guards too. I don't see this being a problem, especially with such a light coating of oil.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have a PureOne air filter right now, and I like the tackifying oil they use. I like the tough guards too. I don't see this being a problem, especially with such a light coating of oil.

It may not be for most cars i guess. I just know that after I cleaned the coating off the maf my idling issue seamed to disappear. I guess the light coating was enough to make it act funny and I wonder if it wouldve kept getting worse if i hadnt cleaned it off. I dont think cleaning the oil from the filter off of your maf is part of any routine preventative maintenance program lol. Btw my filter is pretty [censored] oily.

Last edited:
Did you maybe install it backward, with the oiled side facing the MAF? If the oil soaked through the media and got on the MAF, it is a production/execution issue, not a design/concept flaw. I have run Fram TG (oiled paper) filters on both of my vehicles for 18+ months now and have not had any such issues.

No. Its always been the pleats facing down. Lol if i was to do something that stupid I would resign from firestone that same day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back