Pure one Air Filter clogged my MAF with oil!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it did get over oiled by Puro, since we know they have QC issues, i am just saying i haven't seen it on the clean side on an inspected filter before use.

I'm a purohater and I'll be the first to admit it. I do love my fram products and lots of people hate them so I feel ok about it. In my Nissan I noticed the wix af fits real nice and gave me a good uoa. got one in her right now.

Not yet. its raining today and I have my honda in the garage with the wheels off. I will be changing it tomorrow and cleaning the MAF again but I dont know what ill change it to...

Those oiled filters are great if you have pre MAF vehicles, I have the oiled pure1 in my truck right now. My speed density doesn't care a lick.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have never seen the oil get from the dirty side to the clean side, kinda strange, its a VERY light coating.

You're kidding. You didn't know that oil evaporates, and here quicker under a steady air flow? News for you: Liquid evaporates.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
FWIW oem Nissan filters for this application are also oiled

Very interesting...

Yes, the OEM air filters for my 2007 Frontier were oiled and many Nissan mechanics to whom I spoke always told me to never run a non-oiled filter in the truck. I stuck basically to OEM in the 7 years I owned the truck.

I had one in my Max for almost 40k miles without a problem. Currently have a Tough Guard in it, which is also oiled and don't have a problem.

I personally clean the MAF every so often anyway.

K&N going into the Jag soon probably next month.

Not going to do so cor the Clio and Pathfinder as they are likely going to get sold within the next few months

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Not going to do so cor the Clio and Pathfinder as they are likely going to get sold within the next few months

Why use a K&N at all? Aren't you worried about increased engine wear with the low efficiency media? I'd stick with an oem or similar paper filter.

Why use a K&N at all? Aren't you worried about increased engine wear with the low efficiency media? I'd stick with an oem or similar paper filter.

How many engines do you know of that have prematurely worn out from using a K&N air filter?

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

How many engines do you know of that have prematurely worn out from using a K&N air filter?

While that's a fair question, it's also hard to prove, just like many other things. What i do know is many UOA's show high silicon and increased metal wear with K&N installed, and putting a proper filter in will show wear and silicon go down, since silicon is abrasive to the inside of the engine, you want as little as possible in there.

I have seen first hand on my Buick what a leak in the gasket will do with 52 silicon in my UOA, my iron and copper were 32 ppm AL 10 ppm and lead was 40 ppm, all from poor air filtration over a

Originally Posted By: 123Saab

While that's a fair question, it's also hard to prove, just like many other things. What i do know is many UOA's show high silicon and increased metal wear with K&N installed, and putting a proper filter in will show wear and silicon go down, since silicon is abrasive to the inside of the engine, you want as little as possible in there.

I have seen first hand on my Buick what a leak in the gasket will do with 52 silicon in my UOA, my iron and copper were 32 ppm AL 10 ppm and lead was 40 ppm, all from poor air filtration over a div>

I appreciate your answer, But I dont think that is a fair comparison.

You think a K&N Filter is as bad as a leaky gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back