Purchased a fuel pump for a 2002 F350 way sooner than I wanted to

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Early last summer while filling up my 2002 F350 V10 the fuel gauged failed, always showing empty. At the same time the miles to empty always showing full on the computer. Did the typical diagnostics tests and was able to get the fuel gauge to move to full and then empty if battery was disconnected and then connected, so fairly confident it is the sensor at the fuel pump. The fuel gauge was always slow to work ever since I purchased the truck, so no big surprise it finally became inoperable.

I only buy OEM fuel pumps, which is a shame as RockAuto has a aftermarket pump on clearance for $35. Paid $250 for the Ford OEM pump, everyone else was $300+. I likely won't replace the pump till next summer. Issues was RockAuto only had one in stock. I assume this pump is somewhat common, and with everyone keeping their trucks, I speculated there will be a regular need for this pump.

I was concerned that when I needed the pump, one would not be easily available and/or I would need to purchase from a Dealer at a full retail price. So bit the bullitt and bout the last one RockAuto had in stock. It will sit for six plus months, but feel good having it than taking a risk in today's "shortage" marketplace.

Order another one when you install the one you just bought :)
Shouldn't need it with an OEM pump, it probably will outlast the truck.. That would be a good idea if he bought an aftermarket one. Hopefully, he changes the fuel filter at the same time.

Shouldn't need it with an OEM pump, it probably will outlast the truck.. That would be a good idea if he bought an aftermarket one. Hopefully, he changes the fuel filter at the same time.
Changed the fuel filter last summer. It was getting clogged, truck struggled under load while towing a trailer. Fuel filter fixed that quickly.

The fuel pump is one thing I want to replace on my 2001 F350 preventatively. The good thing is, there's literally no bed floor above it so it's exposed and easy to get to.

Depending on the number, there are quite a few that year in the Ford catalog, it could very well be on backorder now.

Motorcraft PFS389 is the part number. The fuel pump part number is different based on wheel base. I believe my wheel base was 154".

RockAuto did ship it earlier today, should arrive on Wednesday, so must be a very local warehouse as I picked the slowest cheapest method for shipping.

Last edited:
Motorcraft PFS389 is the part number. The fuel pump change based on wheel base. I believe my wheel base was 154".

RockAuto did ship it earlier today, should arrive on Wednesday, so must be a very local warehouse as I picked the slowest cheapest method for shipping.
You got lucky that they had one:

Part#:3C3Z 9H307EC ENG#:3C3U9H307EB
Part Name:SENDER AND PUMP ASY Date Off B/O:00/00/00 B/O Ranking:456

1 FILL EM-ORDS FROM: YX HVCS UPON RECEIPT
2 CAUSAL DESCRIPTN1: X7 COMPONENT PART SHORTAGE
3 CAUSAL DESCRIPTN2: WC PACKAGER DELAY
4 112221 200PCS HOLDING FOR ATTACHING PARTS
5 112221 ATTACHING PART SHORTAGE AT PACKAGER

Just checked RockAuto, they do have the pump I bought in stock , even though when i purchased it said only one left.

Difference is price is now $75 higher.........

Just checked RockAuto, they do have the pump I bought in stock , even though when i purchased it said only one left.

Difference is price is now $75 higher.........
I've purchased factory Ford parts from RockAuto previously and a few times they were shipped right from a Ford dealership. If your part comes from a dealership, perhaps they ordered a replacement and got it back into inventory.
Let us know where your part came from.

I've purchased factory Ford parts from RockAuto previously and a few times they were shipped right from a Ford dealership. If your part comes from a dealership, perhaps they ordered a replacement and got it back into inventory.
Let us know where your part came from.
So basically its on backorder from Ford. But a dealer may have it. Or what is called a FAD (Ford Authorized Distributor) that Ford used to distribute Motorcraft parts, has it in stock. I do daily stock orders with both Ford and our FAD. There are some parts that I cannot get from Ford, like some axle seals, but I can get from my FAD. With Ford's new Rapid Inventory Management system, they have cut out a lot of the FADs as far as parts we can get from Ford also. Our local FAD is incredible, but they do have to charge us our normal cost +10% now because they lost some backend money. I take that extra 10% and tack it on when I sell it. I obviously don't do a stock number with anything that I have to pay for than cost for because that makes no sense whatsoever.

So basically its on backorder from Ford. But a dealer may have it. Or what is called a FAD (Ford Authorized Distributor) that Ford used to distribute Motorcraft parts, has it in stock. I do daily stock orders with both Ford and our FAD. There are some parts that I cannot get from Ford, like some axle seals, but I can get from my FAD. With Ford's new Rapid Inventory Management system, they have cut out a lot of the FADs as far as parts we can get from Ford also. Our local FAD is incredible, but they do have to charge us our normal cost +10% now because they lost some backend money. I take that extra 10% and tack it on when I sell it. I obviously don't do a stock number with anything that I have to pay for than cost for because that makes no sense whatsoever.
Sounds like Ford is borrowing from GMs play book, even using the same name. One of my Ford dealers wont order from the motorcraft distributor unless their isnt another option. The other gives us the option of tomorrow for xxx or this afternoon for yyy

Sounds like Ford is borrowing from GMs play book, even using the same name. One of my Ford dealers wont order from the motorcraft distributor unless their isnt another option. The other gives us the option of tomorrow for xxx or this afternoon for yyy
Yup, its the same Synchron system. My idle inventory has jumped dramatically since being basically forced on the program.

Ford and GM are not alone in this. Most large manufacturers in my industry switched over 20 or 25 years ago to inventory "management" that required distributors to have stock levels well above what would be average in this industry (13 turns per year). Stock levels can be "checked" by the local sales guys (required by some manufacturers) and if stocked levels are below the requirement, we either have to place an order or lose distributor status (and by default purchasing privileges). This is all done in the distribution contract we have to sign (30 day drop clause) so things can be brutal if the manufacturer decides to "drop" the distributor with the 30 day notice.

Not much you can do but add shelf space and become the "warehouse" for the manufacturer. Been going on for many years - nothing new here (at least in my industry). This doesn't affect large distributors (Grainger, Border States, Graybar, Hagemeyer, etc.) hardly at all, but for small chains with just a few branches it is brutal. Ties up money on the shelf and hinders growth.

New policies by the manufacturers are making it even harder. Many manufacturers no longer "offer" special pricing agreements and now discounted pricing is strictly by volume, which by default hurts the smaller distributor as they don't have the order numbers to make the lower pricing levels. It really stinks as this is driving the big guys into more areas and pushing out the smaller mom and pop distributors.

On the Ford Super Duty forum this morning and found this from a poster:

Fuel Pump for 2003 f250 superduty extended cab V-10.
Best I can do from local dealer is 4 months Any leads on availability any sooner?

One thing to keep in mind on this year super duty. With the V10, there are no less than three different and distinct OEM fuel pumps, based on wheel base, bed length, and cab style.

Back