Puralator Oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good stuff...Still like my Wix and Napa Golds though...

Then again, the filter is inside my engine...so I am picky.

Go PureOne.

Used to be an average filter. I recently cut open an L 10193. Much less filter area than in the past, less than anything but a Fram.

Likey I will go with an ST next time.

Originally Posted By: labman
Used to be an average filter. I recently cut open an L 10193. Much less filter area than in the past, less than anything but a Fram.

I would imagine the PureONE version of that filter would have much more filer element area. PureONE has one of the best filtering performance beta factors out there ... outstanding for the price of the filter. Not sure about the flow performance ... Purolator's Tech Dept would not share the data with me due to it being "proprietary".
whistle.gif

I'll pass on the Premium Plus. Good enough..but... I even ran one for 1 year and 9500 miles. The PureOne is well worth the extra bucks if you're going to use it long enough to offset the additional costs over the PP. If you're dumping the sump over short enough intervals ..don't bother.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'll pass on the Premium Plus. Good enough..but... I even ran one for 1 year and 9500 miles. The PureOne is well worth the extra bucks if you're going to use it long enough to offset the additional costs over the PP. If you're dumping the sump over short enough intervals ..don't bother.

The PureONE is a whole 50 cents more than the regular Purolator filter
LOL.gif
... $5.99 for the PureONE vs. $5.49 for the regular Purolator. At least these were the prices at the store I saw them at. You can get PureONE filters from Amazon.com for about $4.50 each.

The PP typically goes for
Oh ..btw..here's what it costs for two PureOne's on Amazon @ the alleged $4.50 each

Items: $9.48
Shipping & Handling: $5.67

Total Before Tax: $15.15

Care to spend $25 to get free shipping??

LOL.gif

In about 4K miles I will hit 20K miles on an L-24458 Purolator PPlus filter that I will cut open and post some pictures.
I do 7K, 7K and 6K oil changes.

$5.49 for a Purolator Premium Plus, thats very expensive.

I've used Purolator Premium Plus filters and have been happy with the results. Purolator also makes filters for other brands... Quaker State and Advance Auto Parts. I've used both, and they seem to perform as well as the PP brand.

Oh ..btw..here's what it costs for two PureOne's on Amazon @ the alleged $4.50 each

LOL.gif

Just buy 6!
LOL.gif

The reason why I asked is that the independent shop I take my car too uses them. They also use Forumla Shell oil, he buys by the case, so its not bulk. I used Durablend however, and he gets it for me.

I have a small stash of AAP Total Grip Filters, which is made by Purolator with slightly less media than the Purolator Premium Plus (now Classic lol). At $2.88 the price is right, and the Total Grip makes hand tightening installation and removal a breeze. (I do also have a couple of Pure One's on hand too).

How do they work? Well, I did 4K OCI UOA with it and Valvoline Conventional. It was excellent and 5K was recommended by Blackstone.

Granted it could have been the oil, but the AAP TG apparently didn't hurt. I cut it open and it looks very similar to the Puro Classic.

Now I'm going to say this, if I had a choice between a Puro Prem+ and Fram I'd take the Puro. At Advance the orange can also costs more than the same Puro+ application.
27.gif

Something I noticed about the filters that Purolator makes, they rate their filter's own efficiency right on the side of the box. IIRC, the Premium Plus is 96%, AA Total grip is 94% Bosch Premium is 98% and the PureOne is 99.9%

Percent of what? is my first question, but since it is their own ratings being compared here, it may be possible that these numbers do really indicate the relative efficiency of the different media used in each.

I tend to reserve use of the PureOne for summer use or (year-round for 0W/5W-20 oil) as I feel they may be a bit more restrictive than some of the others.

When I cut apart filters, purolator had the largest area, and the best construction, IMO. I use them in everything.

LOL.gif

ALWAYS DO ... there is always something else to buy, so it really would be about $4.50 each (actually $4.74 ea) and not "alleged" for me, but actual.
48.gif
You always have to be filled in with the missing details, don't ya?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Something I noticed about the filters that Purolator makes, they rate their filter's own efficiency right on the side of the box. IIRC, the Premium Plus is 96%, AA Total grip is 94% Bosch Premium is 98% and the PureOne is 99.9%

Percent of what? is my first question, but since it is their own ratings being compared here, it may be possible that these numbers do really indicate the relative efficiency of the different media used in each.

It's the percent of filtering efficiency - not hard to understand. Do some searching on the 'net (Google is your friend
wink.gif
). Yes, the higher the efficiency percent, the better the filter removes contaminates from the oil. The tests are ran per SAE test specs, so it's not really "their own rating".

I tend to reserve use of the PureOne for summer use or (year-round for 0W/5W-20 oil) as I feel they may be a bit more restrictive than some of the others.

The blue PureONE PL14459's I recently got from Amazon say 98% Multi-Pass efficiency.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

It's the percent of filtering efficiency - not hard to understand. Do some searching on the 'net (Google is your friend
wink.gif
). Yes, the higher the efficiency percent, the better the filter removes contaminates from the oil. The tests are ran per SAE test specs, so it's not really "their own rating".

..but if they don't state where the % of efficiency is on all the boxes, what does it mean?

Just about every filter is Beta100=1000.

Han: What's the % of filtering?
Luke: Well, it's so good ..it's..it's ..well it's more than you can imagine!
Han: I don't know. I can imagine quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: T-Keith
When I cut apart filters, purolator had the largest area, and the best construction, IMO. I use them in everything.

How recently? In the past, I found them about the same as several champ produced filters. The one I cut open recently had much less media area and I don't like the dome end bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back