PUP burner

Dead stock. Just a rear motor mount and some roof racks.

How can you leave such a fun little motor untuned? I'd run a 0w40 or 5w40 in it to be honest, a few local speed 3 fellas I met up with at the track when I had my ST/RS cars said they all ran either a 0w40 or 5w40 year round but then again they were all modded from basic tunes to full bolt on's. I know that engine shears oil just as bad as the Ecoboost engines do.

How can you leave such a fun little motor untuned? I'd run a 0w40 or 5w40 in it to be honest, a few local speed 3 fellas I met up with at the track when I had my ST/RS cars said they all ran either a 0w40 or 5w40 year round but then again they were all modded from basic tunes to full bolt on's. I know that engine shears oil just as bad as the Ecoboost engines do.

Most visc loss that's blamed on shear is actually from fuel. The EcoBoost is a prime example, it fuel dilutes like crazy, which causes serious visc loss.

Most visc loss that's blamed on shear is actually from fuel. The EcoBoost is a prime example, it fuel dilutes like crazy, which causes serious visc loss.
Good point, and another reason why using an oil on the "thicker" side of the grade might be prudent for people who don't want to bump up a grade, especially in DI engines.

I can agree with that. They seem to be tuned rich from the factory, but even when the Ecoboost motors are tuned properly they will still shear down a 30wt to a low 20wt easily. More so once turbo swaps are introduced.

I can agree with that. They seem to be tuned rich from the factory, but even when the Ecoboost motors are tuned properly they will still shear down a 30wt to a low 20wt easily. More so once turbo swaps are introduced.

It would still be prudent to get a UOA with GC to confirm that it is shear, according to a formulator who used to post here regularly, visc loss due to mechanical shear is actually quite low with modern VII's (he worked for Shell IIRC) and that most of what gets blamed on shear is actually just fuel. It doesn't take much fuel to bring the visc down significantly.

Regarding this, should the oil be smelling like gas upon being drained? Or could that simply indicate that a short trip was taken.

It would still be prudent to get a UOA with GC to confirm that it is shear, according to a formulator who used to post here regularly, visc loss due to mechanical shear is actually quite low with modern VII's (he worked for Shell IIRC) and that most of what gets blamed on shear is actually just fuel. It doesn't take much fuel to bring the visc down significantly.
I saw your post and it got me thinking regarding a thread I made for my vette.... so if I dont have a fuel dilution problem I could use the pup 5w30 without a worry of it shearing to a 5w20? Thanks.

Regarding this, should the oil be smelling like gas upon being drained? Or could that simply indicate that a short trip was taken.

It may not, as that could depend on how sensitive your nose is ;) I expect my 6.4L is diluting a bit (rich stock tune) but I don't smell fuel in the oil. If one suspects they may have some fuel dilution, getting a UOA from a lab that does GC is a good idea.

I saw your post and it got me thinking regarding a thread I made for my vette.... so if I dont have a fuel dilution problem I could use the pup 5w30 without a worry of it shearing to a 5w20? Thanks.

If your 'vette specs a 5w-30 PCMO, then yep, you'll be fine.

Pennzoil is thin and I've had it burn quick. I ran a truck 4 quarts low in 3k miles that had no noticeable usage before and spun a rod bearing on PP. I can't blame the Pennzoil, and I'm ok with the idea this may have just been a coincidence, but I'm never using it again.

Back