PUP 5W30 Changes From SM , SN/SN+ , SP Versions ?

For those knowledgeable of the various later releases of Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum 5W30 (PUP) from say SM -> SN/SN+ -> SP what significant negative changes / trends have you noted with the newer PUP oil versions ? While none of the PUP versions are a long drain synthetic oils , it appears that one or more of the positive qualities that PUP users previously appreciated back with the SM rated version (or even the SL version) are deemed to not quite be the higher quality PUP that fans of this oil previously experienced with earlier versions (i.e. non-GTL ?)- what specifically are the exceptions you take with the newer rated PUP oil versions ? *Higher NOACK and higher use of VII's are all I could see regarding this question as it relates to the newer PUP versions (i.e. 5W30) .

I can't comment on the change from SM to SN, but from SN to SP, there was a rebalancing of the calcium/magnesium blend from ~2400ppm Ca and 0 Mg to a more typical ~1300/600 Ca/Mg blend.

An additional change I have read is the higher NOACK associated with the new PUP formulation which is detriemtal if you have an oil burner or GDI engine ... *Makes me wonder just what exactly the benefits / advantages are now of the new version of PUP vs. the more readily available , less expensive PPPP ?

For those knowledgeable of the various later releases of Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum 5W30 (PUP) from say SM -> SN/SN+ -> SP what significant negative changes / trends have you noted with the newer PUP oil versions ? While none of the PUP versions are a long drain synthetic oils , it appears that one or more of the positive qualities that PUP users previously appreciated back with the SM rated version (or even the SL version) are deemed to not quite be the higher quality PUP that fans of this oil previously experienced with earlier versions (i.e. non-GTL ?)- what specifically are the exceptions you take with the newer rated PUP oil versions ? *Higher NOACK and higher use of VII's are all I could see regarding this question as it relates to the newer PUP versions (i.e. 5W30) .
I ran PUP 17k in my ‘11 Fusion, and over 10k at least 4-5 other times. I’d hardly call that a non-“long drain synthetic oil”.

An additional change I have read is the higher NOACK associated with the new PUP formulation which is detriemtal if you have an oil burner or GDI engine ... *Makes me wonder just what exactly the benefits / advantages are now of the new version of PUP vs. the more readily available , less expensive PPPP ?
They both meet the specs they’re listed to. If your engine requires these specs, use it; there will be no statistical differences between PUP, PP, or any other oil that meets the specs. Change it at recommended frequencies. The end.

It seems the general consensus among some of the well respected members here was Pennzoil dropped the ball with the change from the SM to the SN formulation. They cheapened a top shelf product. Many of us stopped using it and haven't looked back. It's hard find the specific threads but a few years back there was a lot written about it.

It seems the general consensus among some of the well respected members here was Pennzoil dropped the ball with the change from the SM to the SN formulation. They cheapened a top shelf product. Many of us stopped using it and haven't looked back. It's hard find the specific threads but a few years back there was a lot written about it.
Do you mean SN to SN+? Because SN was around 2010 and Pennzoil was still top dog around here for some period of time after that

Do you mean SN to SN+? Because SN was around 2010 and Pennzoil was still top dog around here for some period of time after that
No, SM to SN is where many of us felt the ball dropped, and we dropped PU then. The general consensus is there are several better products from that point until today.

I thought Ultra only came out in 2010. Was there ever even an SM Ultra to begin with?
Yes there was, API SM it came in a gray bottle. This was around the time the product was first introduced. I tried doing a search, there were tons of threads which I can't seem to locate much at the moment. Here's one. PU SM Many said in other threads the NOACK in the SM was much better. Pennzoil stopped touting it at some point with SN if my memory is working, and with some formulation changes the NOACK was worse, along with some other changes that didn't bode well with some members in the know. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'll be away for a while so watching this thread will be tough. In any event PU is not the darling it once was around here.

Last edited:
Perhaps the most accurate reply yet regarding the changes PUP has encountered since the SM version . I had 1 jug of PUP SN+ which I just used as the winter fill for the wife's 2.0L Seltose PFI engine as it is not picky what oil is used , never burns a drop during an OCI , etc. Too bad for Penzoil - really no reason to keep PUP in the line up any more .

Perhaps the most accurate reply yet regarding the changes PUP has encountered since the SM version . I had 1 jug of PUP SN+ which I just used as the winter fill for the wife's 2.0L Seltose PFI engine as it is not picky what oil is used , never burns a drop during an OCI , etc. Too bad for Penzoil - really no reason to keep PUP in the line up any more .
Your speculation is pretty amazing. You write good things about the product, yet simultaneously bash it. There’s not as much data here on newer (API SP) PUP, lots of speculation, yet you think it’s subpar without proof. Why bother? If you don’t think it’s up to snuff even though it’s earned several certs, then don’t buy it. Other people have tried it, gotten good results with it, and continue to use it.

Yes, it’s thin for the grade. This means on its face it may not be the best oil for a heavy fuel diluter. Point conceded. But there are plenty of port- or hybrid-injected vehicles that PUP will and does work fine in. ✌️

There was no SL version of PU and I'm pretty sure there was no SL version of PP either. I think the last SL version of Pennzoil synthetic was the one which used 'Pennzane' IIRC.
I still have a few PU SM dated 2010 and PP from when it first came out in 2007 in my collection. I know that the original SM PU was thought to be awesome on this site and it's status among BITOGers declined as time went on for the reasons stated in this tread. In reality I think that both are very good oils in all their past and present formulas.

Last edited:
Back