PUP 5W-30 Silenced My GMC Valve Train Clacking / Ticking Noise..?

While I was searching for info on 5W-30 PUP I came across an old post stating how quiet his engine was after using this oil. I just used some old PUP that I got in WM a few years ago and it had the same effect on m '02 GMC SD 6.0. I use ALL different top brands of oils, Mobil 1, GC, Valvoline etc. and none has ever taken away that noise like this oil does. The jug had a $64.xx (??) clearance sticker price on it but it came up much less. Is the old version of this oil different in quality than the newer one, it's now $24.xx ?

I'm always skeptical of claims made about oil brand and noise, but it does happen for unknown reasons. That version of PUP you have could be the old PAO stuff. Who knows..

My 6.0 is silent no matter what i put in it. From 5w-20 to 15w-40 I've never had clatter or ticking. The fact that yours does means it has an issue and mine has 315k and has never been town apart. Just oil, a timing chain, and a pan gasket. Maybe try an engine flush. Whole can of seafoam in the oil for a few hundred miles or a tanks worth in range before the change is effective enough.

Last edited:
That version of PUP you have could be the old PAO stuff. Who knows..

I did not know PUP ever used PAO, I use it because I get the same effect from my 3 gen Tacoma. I like the stuff because it's Group 3+, and seems to work noticeably better than other oils(in it's price range). I will say that the quiet effect does not last, or I would not notice any difference with the 7k oil change.

Just like Buster said, it’s possible the formulation you used has some PAO. PU was introduced in 2010 with an API SM rating, then was updated to API SN later in 2010. The original PU SM is seen by many as the holy grail of the PU/PUP formulations. The formulation was definitely special compared to other over the counter oils. What is the API rating and date code on the bottle you used?

I'm not convinced that PAO has any impact on engine smoothness/noise . Mobil 1 ep is supposed to have a decent slug of it and it's loud in my engine .

The old formula PU and PP had alot more moly. That's probably why your engine is really smooth and quiet on that old formula PU (or PUP). The current formula PP isn't nearly as quiet in my Accord as the old formula. Comparing uoas shows the moly has been reduced.

I'm always skeptical of claims made about oil brand and noise, but it does happen for unknown reasons. That version of PUP you have could be the old PAO stuff. Who knows..

Wemay thought that way too... Until he noticed that happened in a vehicle he had.

My lady's 98 Camry is stupid loud on Cam2.

Put Warren Distribution made Federated Auto parts semi synthetic in it and it was way way quieter. Helen Keller would have noticed the difference.

Interestingly enough that the Cam2 runs extremely quiet in my Nissan Altima VQ.

Put PP 5W-30 in my G5 in November, and I’ve noticed the engine is much quieter than it was. It has intermittent TC tensioner noise on some cold starts, and it seems to happen much less now.

This 6.0 was known for the valve train noise and CSK, never had the knock but it ALWAYS had the loud clatter/ticking at idle and when you first start off. I used thicker oils in the summer and there was a difference in the loudness with certain oils but it never went quiet. I'll have to look at the date on the jug. The oil that I let out was the older full syn 5W-30 Maxi Life in the red bottles, I think it was the loudest of them all. It just made me remember when the first Valvoline Syn used to drain out like water...LOL. Just an aside comment, my first use of syn was in qt. cans of Olomo(?) back then people were afraid to use syns because they made the oil seals leak and thought that you had to flush out the dino before you used it, again LOL.

Drained out the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and replaced with Shell Helix Ultra 5w30, which I believe is PUP in USA? And the Kia 1.6 T-GDI is running noticeably smoother and quiter than before.

Drained out the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 and replaced with Shell Helix Ultra 5w30, which I believe is PUP in USA? And the Kia 1.6 T-GDI is running noticeably smoother and quiter than before.

My PUP came in the yellow Pennzoil jug, they were in the clearance section for the longest time with a yellow sticker price of $64.xx. I thought it was a mistake but when they did a price check it was not, so it sat there for a while. Is the Shell PUP??

an oils viscosity can surely effect engine quietness as thinner 20W's that het thinner with use can be a issue + even within the 20 or 30 rating some brands are thicker.

Back