Pumpkin Pie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pulled 4 pies from the oven !!
Anybody cook homemade pumpkin pies from scratch ?

I've got a recipe that's about 150 years old
Man they are so good ðŸ‘

It is about that time of year.
11.gif

Originally Posted by kstanf150

Man they are so good ðŸ‘

please share that recipe!

I love seeing old stuff like that you know things have changed so much that it's almost a certainty that these old recipes are better than what we have today.
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I have, it's hard. You gotta work the pumpkin guts to get them soft. Waste of time, really. Now I can be persuaded...
wink.gif

I just use packed pumpkin from a can; I hate to say it, but it's ok. Now, I won't buy a PRE-made pie, that's just nasty.

Most of my Thanksgiving recipes are heading on 150 years; I got them from my grandmother who got them from hers. So that puts them solidly in Tennessee about 1870.
wink.gif

Pumpkin pie, southern dressing, sweet potato pie, unleavened cornbread ( I cannot stand this Yankee crap of cake-like cornbread!), bacon beans, what else do you need? I do my Turkey how I want but everything else I do by my family recipes running back over a century to TN.

My friends in WA LOVE my house at thanksgiving...
wink.gif

But I want to hear this pie recipe..

I love Thanksgiving. It seems to be the only time the whole family can get together at one time. The aroma in the kitchen and throughout the house is amazing. And Oh, that pumpkin pie? OMG!

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I have, it's hard. You gotta work the pumpkin guts to get them soft. Waste of time, really. Now I can be persuaded...
wink.gif

I just use packed pumpkin from a can; I hate to say it, but it's ok. Now, I won't buy a PRE-made pie, that's just nasty.

Most of my Thanksgiving recipes are heading on 150 years; I got them from my grandmother who got them from hers. So that puts them solidly in Tennessee about 1870.
wink.gif

Pumpkin pie, southern dressing, sweet potato pie, unleavened cornbread ( I cannot stand this Yankee crap of cake-like cornbread!), bacon beans, what else do you need? I do my Turkey how I want but everything else I do by my family recipes running back over a century to TN.

My friends in WA LOVE my house at thanksgiving...
wink.gif

But I want to hear this pie recipe..

That's the thing about this recipe is the pumpkin is the easy part

Get a large PIE size pumpkin
With a large sharp knife cut the top off off the pumpkin
Remove the seeds
Take aluminum foil and cover the top
Place pumpkin on baking pan in a 350 degree oven and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour till tender
Let cool and spoon out the soft meat of the pumpkin

Last edited:
My mom is 91, lives by herself, drives, has a big garden, raises chickens, beef, quilts with the church ladies, etc, etc.
She still makes homemade pies, including pumpkin. I, myself, love pumpkin pie, but it's something that I can't eat more than once a week.
Now, when she makes her famous raisin-cream pie, I can have several!

Love it!. But please give me a little dollop of vanilla ice cream or real cream on the side!!

Now whats with the new a couple years ago saying that the pie filling in the cans was another kind of squash and not Pumpkin?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Now whats with the new a couple years ago saying that the pie filling in the cans was another kind of squash and not Pumpkin?

That's all just a game of semantics. It's well-known that if you cook a jack-o-lantern pumpkin into a pie, it tastes terrible. My grandmother doesn't call them "cow pumpkins" for nothing. https://www.rd.com/food/fun/is-canned-pumpkin-really-squash/

The most common brand of canned pie filling comes from a variety called Dickinsons pumpkin.
My family likes to use PA Dutch Crookneck pumpkins, which we grow ourselves. They're like a butternut squash on steroids.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, this is what my attempt at a pie completely from scratch I made a few years ago:
1 pie pumpkin, roasted with ground cinnamon, nutmeg and pureed

Add to that:
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup of brown sugar
Pumpkin pie spice or a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger to taste. I start out with a teaspoon of pie spice
1 tsp of vanilla
a shot of bourbon

Pour into a pie shell, bake at 450*F for 15 minutes and back off to 350. Bake until a slight jiggle or a toothpick in the center of the pie comes out clean. I might do this again this year since a friend wants me to brew a pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving. I think we'll smoke a few pie pumpkins with a neutral wood like birch to roast them and I'll save enough to make a pie and the rest for the beer.

Originally Posted by AC1DD
Originally Posted by kstanf150

Man they are so good ðŸ‘

please share that recipe!

I love seeing old stuff like that you know things have changed so much that it's almost a certainty that these old recipes are better than what we have today.
banana2.gif
banana2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Pumpkin Pie Recipe

2 cups of cooked pumpkin
1.5 cups of white sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (McCormicks)
2 tsp of Ground cinnamon
4 eggs
2 tbsp of all purpose flour (White Lilly )
1/4 tsp of salt

Mix-cook-bake
until knife inserted comes out clean
350-400 degrees- according to stone

Usually works out to 35-45 minutes

The according to stone is the neat part of the recipe to me

Enjoy !!

Originally Posted by ZZman
Love the pie with Cool Whip. Not by scratch.

Man stay away form that instant heart attack sludge!

Real cream, dude!

This thread needs pictures!

Love pumpkin pie and all the thanksgiving-time food.

Don't understand the stone reference though...

My only guess is that back 150 years ago the pies were cooked/baked on a hot stone and by experience she could tell when the stone was ready by how hot it was.

And there's a slice missing !!🤔🤔...³...³ðŸ¥´ðŸ¥´ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£

547A8767-B011-4670-8A56-D5D12CFB942B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back