Pumping oil out - 1 qt left behind- recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just do it frquently. Once in 2 years or so go get it drained.
U r already doing filters.
U r good to go.
I know i just changed the oil filter on my rx7 and too it off many times.
1988 and still drives new.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Why don't you use the drain plug?

Why would you ask such an obvious question ?
grin2.gif

This is why I personally don't bother with doing oil changes the easy way, but I have a hundred feet of driveway and ample garage space.
You don't.
I'd have spent my money on a set of ramps and I'd plan oil changes for early Saturday or Sunday mornings when nobody else will be out and about.
Worst thing that might happen is that management will tell you that you can't do them and you'll reply that you didn't know.
That then leaves local vacant commercial real estate parking lots for your oil changes, and there is plenty of that everywhere in this country.
Why mess with a half-arsed oil change when you can get a little creative and do the job right?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It won't hurt a thing and may actually help. As oil is circulated in the engine and experiences heat cycles, it develops unique anti-wear compounds. These are lost at change and you start over. There are some technical white papers covering this subject. Shannow can prolly point you to them ...

Many knowledgeable BITOG'ers do not change the filter at the same interval with the oil, me included. Leaving behind some residual oil leaves some of the already developed beneficial compounds in place.

We usually change the filter every other oil change and usually a month after the oil change. to allow carry over long enough for the new oil to develop some of its own compounds.

The main reason we change oil is to get the TBN back up where it belongs. Putting 75% new oil in will that easily
smile.gif

This is why I only change 13.75 ounces of oil every full moon and using only the illumination of the full moon since we all know motor oil should never be exposed to sunlight. I have found this formula leaves the optimal ratio of these beneficial anti-wear compounds in my oil.

Ideally, its best to use the Aztec calendar, the Tonalpohoalli. But since it is difficult for the non-Aztec cosmologist to decipher, I typically just follow the full moon sequence which approximates two Aztec weeks.

Honestly, I never tire of the bazaar rituals invented and adhered to on BITOG amongst the devout.
And I mean this in a completely good-natured way because I have great admiration and respect for you guys.
grin.gif

To the OP. I appreciate your dilemma living in such a community. I was stuck in such an environment many moons ago and used to change my oil about 3:00 in the morning when all the nosey neighbors were passed out.

[/quote]This is why I only change 13.75 ounces of oil every full moon and using only the illumination of the full moon since we all know motor oil should never be exposed to sunlight. I have found this formula leaves the optimal ratio of these beneficial anti-wear compounds in my oil. [/quote]
This reminds me of a prototype locomotive that had three Cummins gensets. Each engine had a oil tank in its module that held about 100 gallons. A solenoid would dump 4 ounces of engine oil into a waste tank and disperse 4 ounces of new oil into the pan, on a regular basis. Theoretically, never had to do an oil change. Never prevented them from blowing up, though.

100 gallons... I can see why you would want to avoid a full oil change. I don't know what oil sells for in drums but buying retail gallons that's $1500 worth per change... Geez

Regular big freight locomotives, GE's and EMD's, have about 450 gallons in the engine. Straight 40 weight. I believe Union Pacific pays about $2 a gallon.
The Cummins used 15w-40 Rotella. Unfortunately, one time someone used what looked like an oil tote, but was really coolant to top off the oil tanks. All three. The Cummins' legitimately blew up that time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2012mazda3
Hello all,
I have been changing my oil by using a electric motor pump externally with a tube in the dipstick hole. The total of oil I get out, including the oil from changing the filter is three and a half quarts.
There is one quart that I cannot get out using this method. The question is how will this affect the car? How can I counter this? Should I shorten intervals of oil changes to compensate?
Should I drive the car for a week then repeat the process with fresh oil?
Maybe the one quart of dirty oil that's left over is not such a big deal, maybe the oil filter takes care of it?
Thank you,
2012 Mazda 3 iSport, 2.0L engine, auto trans 5 spd.

Won't hurt a thing.

Consider the additives in that quart to be "pre-activated", and if you ARE worried about it, reduce your OCIs by 20% (but I wouldn't).

Using a pump is cool! Should be very clean and easy that way. Keep doing that.
Since some oil is left behind, you may want to use the extra-strength oils for that engine, like Castrol Edge Extended Performance, Mobil1 Extended Performance, Amsoil Signature Series, or Mobil1 Annual Protection, most of these available at Walmart for cheap(-ish) in 5 quart jugs. They have longer lasting chemicals in it to be sure. Then follow the "Change Engine Oil" light in your Mazda (oil life monitor) exactly.

I think seeing that you're in an area where you're not supposed to do auto maintenance your method is great! I admire that you do your own oil changes the best way you can. Rock on!

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It won't hurt a thing and may actually help. As oil is circulated in the engine and experiences heat cycles, it develops unique anti-wear compounds. These are lost at change and you start over. There are some technical white papers covering this subject. Shannow can prolly point you to them ...

Many knowledgeable BITOG'ers do not change the filter at the same interval with the oil, me included. Leaving behind some residual oil leaves some of the already developed beneficial compounds in place.

We usually change the filter every other oil change and usually a month after the oil change. to allow carry over long enough for the new oil to develop some of its own compounds.
smile.gif

So I had never heard anything about this practice before reading this post.
How long does it take for a new oil to develop these anti-wear properties?
Is there a key word I can google to learn more about this chemical process?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I'd have spent my money on a set of ramps and I'd plan oil changes for early Saturday or Sunday mornings when nobody else will be out and about.
Worst thing that might happen is that management will tell you that you can't do them and you'll reply that you didn't know.
That then leaves local vacant commercial real estate parking lots for your oil changes, and there is plenty of that everywhere in this country.
Why mess with a half-arsed oil change when you can get a little creative and do the job right?

Totally agree with this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back