Pump on swamp cooler troubleshooting

Pump on swamp cooler is not working. I can plug in something else into the socket (that the pump itself is plugged into) it is running on, and that something will run. I put a running hose into the tube that the pump pushes water into, to get to the spider. Water pours out immediately onto all the pads.

So that pretty much isolates the pump as the problem, doesn't it?

OK pumps are only 20-30 bucks at lowes. This unit is 10 years old, the pump has a decent amount of rust on the outside. Is there any reason to troubleshoot it and still get it to run? And if so, what could I try?

Last edited:
FWIW, the rust is only one one metal band that goes around the pump, but doesn't touch the water level. I just looked again and most of that is actually calcium deposts, but there is a small amount of rust. The plastic part of the pump actually looks pretty good.

Just replace it and make sure the screen that filters the water feed is clean. At 10 years you have got your money's worth out of the old one and even it you are able to get it to limp along, you don't want it failing in the middle of July.
Now, with the new one installed, if you want to try and repair the old one as a spare, go ahead. Probably not worth the time spent on it, though.

Fair enough. I did look at teh screen, it is pretty clean. I don't even think I want to replace that.

They don't last that long around here with the minerals in the water, I think the impeller binds and burns up the motor. I'd try to find the same brand.

It's been 2 years since we moved to a house with A/C, don't miss the swamper a bit.

I would think in AZ that one would come in handy, unless it just gets so hot, that even that doesn't bring it down.

We also have AC, but we do like to use it, we live in desert so its never too humid to use one.

Well thanks anyways, called the OEM and the same pump isn't in my vicinity, not going to drive out of town for a crapshoot repair that might or might not be what is needed, so I threw in the towel & called an ac repair guy.
frown.gif

Last edited:
It is stuck in the swamp cooler--even with Deep Creep the screws weren't coming off. But I also would have had to drive out of town to find an exact replacement, so I just called a repair guy.

Originally Posted by SpitFire6
Hi,
to get longer life use demineralized water and stop using tap/well water.
Cheers,
Iain.

Don't know if you're familiar with an evaporative cooler for a house. It's usually on the roof or in a gable end and use gallons of water a day. They're plumbed into the cold water line and have a float valve that controls the water level in the pan that probably holds 10-15 gallons of standing water. This is what a residential cooler looks like, our old house had one exactly like this, and the drawing shows how it works.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by SpitFire6
Hi,
to get longer life use demineralized water and stop using tap/well water.
Cheers,
Iain.

Don't know if you're familiar with an evaporative cooler for a house. It's usually on the roof or in a gable end and use gallons of water a day. They're plumbed into the cold water line and have a float valve that controls the water level in the pan that probably holds 10-15 gallons of standing water. This is what a residential cooler looks like, our old house had one exactly like this, and the drawing shows how it works.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hi,
That is new to me. Thank you for correcting me.
I have never heard of a dwelling unit before.
Thanks,
Iain.

Back