Pulling Service History from Dealer?

On the Jeep JL I just bought a few weeks ago, the CarFax showed excellent service history at some Jeep dealer in Michigan. Could I go to any Jeep dealer with the VIN and have them pull the specific invoices for what was done at each visit? CarFax wasn't overly specific. Or do I need to ask that specific dealer?

Thanks!

Only that dealer will have service records on it, but don't expect them to do more than give you a rundown of the history. They won't hand you the past invoices or they could get sued.

When I worked at BMW I could use Dealerspeed to pull a service history of any BMW or MINI that I wanted. The record only listed the service and contained no information that would ID the owner. They were considered confidential but I had no problem providing them to new owners.

Ford will only have warranty history in OASIS, Mazda sometimes has customer pay history in eMCDS. I'm not sure what CDJR does for their system. I have gone in and printed history for people, and will Sharpie out the name if it isn't theirs.

Called my local dealer and they said it'd only be warranty, and they couldn't give me any of it, just could read it off to me. I think I might try the dealer that serviced it, just wish I would've saved the carfax!

Called my local dealer and they said it'd only be warranty, and they couldn't give me any of it, just could read it off to me. I think I might try the dealer that serviced it, just wish I would've saved the carfax!
I get they can't release anything with personal information on it. But runnning a Sharpie over both sides of the paper usually works to block anything.

I get they can't release anything with personal information on it. But runnning a Sharpie over both sides of the paper usually works to block anything.
A few of the dealer groups around here have a policy stating that they will not release service history on a vehicle, even if you are the now-registered owner.

A few of the dealer groups around here have a policy stating that they will not release service history on a vehicle, even if you are the now-registered owner.
This is what I got from the servicing dealer too. Records on CarFax were detailed enough, but wanted to confirm if it had had a tranny service done and they said no, since it's "lifetime" told them ZF disagrees but thanks for confirming it hasn't been done. Fun trick - to get service records from the CarFax but without buying a report, go to the CarFax garage and add the vehicle to your garage. It'll pull everything from the report into it.

Bought a Honda Civic Si trade-in at auction a few years ago. Found the owners phone number from maybe some receipts under the seat or just Googling his name and address, don't remember. Called him and asked if anything major was done to it, timing belt, clutch, etc. He was nice and forthcoming and gave me a brief history. A few days later I get a call from the dealer I bought it from, saying that guy was livid about anyone giving out his personal information and was considering suing the dealership for that. Dealer wasn't mad at me and I told the dealer his name and address was right on the title.

Bought a Honda Civic Si trade-in at auction a few years ago. Found the owners phone number from maybe some receipts under the seat or just Googling his name and address, don't remember. Called him and asked if anything major was done to it, timing belt, clutch, etc. He was nice and forthcoming and gave me a brief history. A few days later I get a call from the dealer I bought it from, saying that guy was livid about anyone giving out his personal information and was considering suing the dealership for that. Dealer wasn't mad at me and I told the dealer his name and address was right on the title.

I had something like this happen in reverse: years ago my then girlfriend and I got rear ended while I was driving her truck. It was minor, a Saab 9-3 doesn't do much damage to a Sport Trac at ~15 miles per hour. Regardless, we stopped and exchanged information. A quick damage survey at the scene showed an obvious bend in the RR frame rail and a tweaked bumper bracket so it was worth a claim with the other parties insurance.

Week-ish later, I'm driving to work when I get a call from my GF, practically bawling. After calming her down, she tells me some "guy" claiming to be the father of the offending driver called her and berated her on the phone, saying that it was a BS claim and that he was a "mechanic" and that there was no way our vehicle was damaged that badly.

I was shocked. Immediately I'm thinking "How did this guy get my girl's personal cell number?" The only explanation that carried weight was that his personal agent gave him our personal information. I had her relay me his phone number and proceeded to DESTROY him on the phone. He started out tough, but once the threats of legal action RE: stalking and harassment came out he backed off quick.

TLDR We were rear ended, harassed, and threatened. However, their insurance eventually paid out on the $3,200 claim I had my body shop guy write up, meanwhile I sourced a complete used bumper and had him pull the frame for me for $250 cash. Nice little profit, and hopefully a lesson learned for the guilty party.

Back