Pulling in or backing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I've heard on the radio that there are benefits in backing up into your driveway when you're done for the day. The rationale was that in reverse the cold ATF is under much higher pressure then in forward, creating a "big bang", which is not good for the tranny.
Is there any merit to this? Should I learn how to back up into my garage without destroying the house in the process?

I wouldn't generalize about what happens inside every AT, but generally a car is happier maneuvering around when hot and loose, but stiff and cranky when cold.

Erm well typically an AT's line pressure is regulated. Like it'll be 170psig or whatever cold or hot. Some do it with variable displacement pump etc. Modern AT's know the ATF temp anyway and will make shift adjustments based on it.

I back all cars in during cold months. In the manuals, the 1>2 shift is not easy, so I pull out in 2nd and run in it as far as possible to loosen the trans. With an auto, I can just drop it in D and pull out rather than clunking in and out of R with high idle. If it snows, it's also easier to pull right out. Dad battery and need a jump or bump start???? So, not really for the reasons mentioned on the radio, it is better to back in.

I get a louder and harder clunk going into D than I do going into R when cold. Even though it goes from P to R first, the R to D is always the roughest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back