Pulling an engine. In the Walmart parking lot.

I hate having my hood up in public because I don’t associate well with others and I would be worried someone would try to talk to me lol. I refuse to do anything in the Walmart parking lot ever since I was installing a set of wipers and someone came up and demanded I give them the old ones for the metal rod on the inside. I grabbed them and got in the van with my dad and it was running and my dad began to pull forward and the guy had to run to keep my dad from hitting him lol. This picture doesn’t surprise me at all one it’s a Chevrolet and two you never know what you will see at Walmart lol.

Last month I swapped out the battery of the Jetta before selling it, in the WM lot, but that doesn't count as they expect a core back and the service depart was closed due to covid. And this was in Florida.

I've replaced belts and hoses in parts store parking lots and yes, wipers at Walmart, but nothing that heavy. Like someone said, they probably live in an apartment or HOA.

There’s a Walmart out by me that has a guy who does repairs on peoples cars for them....oil changes, coolant , brakes, ect.......at least he has the courtesy to set up “shop” on the outer edge of the parking lot farthest from the store😁

I've swapped out a carberettor in an auto parts store parking lot; it was a long time ago, and I only had one (old) car and no money. I couldn't afford the core charge on the new carb.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. On my Slant-Six Duster, I changed a waterpump outside a St. Paul motel (I was renting a room), a carb behind a convenience store in Talequah, Oklahoma, and the timing chain in a city parking lot in Oxford, Mississippi.

I knew a guy who said he rebuilt his first engine in the base parking lot when he was in the Navy in the '60s. I think it was a Mercury Comet. He'd put the block back into the trunk when he was done for the night.

No stranger to these types of shenanigans. I have a serious commitment to a 1997 Honda Civic. I knew the head gasket was failing for 6 years. It finally did in 2019. I replaced that gasket and gave the engine a partial rebuild over a 6 weeks period in front my row home in a high density populated city. It went so well I gave my friends 2003 Honda Civic the same treatment at the same location.
That summer I wore the title shade less tree mechanic proudly.

Auto Mechanic rebuilding an engine on the side of the highway :LOL:
preview_ebf06b4a.jpeg

I put a set of snow tires on my car white sitting at a Rutter's gas pump once during a flash snow storm since it was covered. That was fun. Nobody said a word. I'm just lucky I was moving and had them in my trunk.

Rutter's? I know they don't have those in VA. Was this by chance at the Inwood, WV one? Just curious as this is more of a PA franchise....

Rutter's? I know they don't have those in VA. Was this by chance at the Inwood, WV one? Just curious as this is more of a PA franchise....
No to WV, yes to PA. It was the Rutter's in Dillsburg on rt 15.

It looks like they got rid of one row of pumps and half the outdoor roof. it used to be one big covered area and I was able to 'hide' behind the pump in the back corner. :)

Years ago replaced leaking rear air shocks on a Pontiac Bonneville in a Wal-Mart parking lot outside of Ft Knox, KY. Went to a local muffler/ brake shop. They wanted really big bucks to do the relatively simple job. Decided it was considerably cheaper to go to Wal-Mart, buy the cheapest floor jack and cheapest socket set. Went well. andI have also changed motor oil in a Wal-Mart lot on a handful of occasions. My F350 do not require a jack to change the oil...... Wal-Mart a convenient place to do it while on the road...

Guilty as charged.
Likewise. Been there done that. No one bothered me, but a couple people stopped and asked if I needed help.

Reactions: GON
No to WV, yes to PA. It was the Rutter's in Dillsburg on rt 15.

It looks like they got rid of one row of pumps and half the outdoor roof. it used to be one big covered area and I was able to 'hide' behind the pump in the back corner. :)

Hah, yea I know that one. Pass by there every time I go out to my sisters house. Couple (give or take, probably a little more) miles South of the Turnpike. We need more Rutter's in my area. There's one a town over in Mercersburg I pass every day, but it would be nice to have something other than the little Sheetz we have in my town.

Doubt the whole motor was being pulled. Might have needed to lift the motor some to replace a smoked starter. Friend of mine had to replace a starter in a parking lot, and had to lift the motor some to do it - he wasn't happy after that ordeal.

Update: Looks like he forgot his oil drain pan! 🐷 No, I didn't take it.

PXL_20210403_112654727.jpeg

This doesn’t surprise me. The Walmart closest to our house usually has 15-20 vehicles of all types with people living in them. RVs, campers, trailers and regular cars. They move them around to keep security from impounding them. A handy drain doubles as a waste dump for the Cousin Eddie types. The usual tweakers hang out at all hours.

We don’t shop at that one. There is a better one about 10 miles further but it has its troubles as well, just not as much.

Back