Pulling an engine. In the Walmart parking lot.

I've seen a lot of things at Walmart but never would have imagined pulling a motor would be one. I walked up and discreetly looked to make sure the chain was hooked up and it was. He had music playing while underneath doing whatever. I was tempted to asking about his project, but decided to leave him alone. I don't even open my hood to add washer fluid in public, I'm too self-conscious,
PXL_20210327_140410440.jpeg
PXL_20210327_140450541.jpeg
so this is amazing to me.

I’ve got to say, I’ve seen a lot at Walmart, but this truly takes the cake!

But my best things I’ve seen at Walmart?? Saw a guy walking around with his shirt off. Drunk. Wearing these Wrangler jeans. Asked me where the cole slaw was and I’m like, dude it’s right there! Two inches away from your hand.

Then I saw a family tailgating in the parking lot. Tent up. Picnic table, grill. Just grilling and eating away, happy as pie. Only parked maybe ten spots from the front door. I’m like...you couldn’t have at least parked in the back? Heck, there’s a park/trails/Forrest, right next door...couldn’t have went there??

Walmart is my location of choice if I've got vehicle problems on a long road trip. Any fluids you'll need are right there, and there's usually some chain parts store nearby. Usually in a strategic location much like that one, though I prefer further from the doors / other vehicles. Not sure I'd be brave enough to attempt an engine or transmission swap however!

I did a complete front brake job on my benz in a Lowes parking lot. At least I stayed in the far back. I was left alone.

I did buy some tools and lemonade inside, washed my greasy hands in their bathroom too, LOL.

Walmart is my location of choice if I've got vehicle problems on a long road trip. Any fluids you'll need are right there, and there's usually some chain parts store nearby. Usually in a strategic location much like that one, though I prefer further from the doors / other vehicles. Not sure I'd be brave enough to attempt an engine or transmission swap however!
Years ago replaced leaking rear air shocks on a Pontiac Bonneville in a Wal-Mart parking lot outside of Ft Knox, KY. Went to a local muffler/ brake shop. They wanted really big bucks to do the relatively simple job. Decided it was considerably cheaper to go to Wal-Mart, buy the cheapest floor jack and cheapest socket set. Went well. I have also changed motor oil in a Wal-Mart lot on a handful of occasions. My F350 do not require a jack to change the oil...... Wal-Mart a convenient place to do it while on the road...

Guilty as charged.

Why don't you open a hood in public? I do all the time as there is not a flat spot to check oil on my whole lot at home.

In 1996 I worked for U-haul. One of the trucks blew an engine. Another guy and I did an engine swap in a WM parking lot in just a few hours using the crane on the service truck to lift it out and in. Back then U-haul had replacement engines ready to go that were completely ready to bolt in.

Last edited:
I put a set of snow tires on my car white sitting at a Rutter's gas pump once during a flash snow storm since it was covered. That was fun. Nobody said a word. I'm just lucky I was moving and had them in my trunk.

Back