Pulled the trigger on tires for both vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
And my wallet suddenly became much lighter!
grin.gif
Both sets each had $25 rebates from DTD, so that was nice. I realize that tire mfrs sometimes have their own MIRs which are of greater value, but General and Pirelli (the brands I bought) don't seem to have them as often as I'd like, and not always on the tires I want. My choices are as follows:

SEDONA: I went with the General Altimax RT43s. It was down to these or the Cooper CS4s, but I liked the overwhelmingly positive reviews I read about the Generals, especially their snow performance. I was a little nervous about the fact that this tire has only been out for 6 months, but I liked what I saw.

FUSION: I went all out on this one with Pirelli P7 All Season Plus. These rate #1 on TireRack in their performance category, over the #2 Continental PureContact DWS by quite a margin in each measurable in the survey. The Pirellis were kinda pricey, but reading reviews about their snow and rain performance sold me on them. Many people compared them to the ExtremeContact DWS, which I was also considering (great tire, but different category) and said that the snow performance was well above them. The P7s are also supposed to be very quiet, which is absolutely necessary since this is our main travel vehicle, and my wife's daily driver.

Both sets of tires will be going on in the fall of this year. Can't wait!

Why did you buy them now if they won't be going on until fall? You probably could have waited for MFGR MIRs, or other rebates (4th of July sale, etc.).

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Why did you buy them now if they won't be going on until fall? You probably could have waited for MFGR MIRs, or other rebates (4th of July sale, etc.).

See my post.

you just missed a 75/50$ presidents sale last week. next would be memorial day.

pirelli had 75$/4 and general 50$/4

but hey sometimes its hard to get deals.

also had additional 30$ on 4 with dtd CC

so 105$ off and 80$ off respectively.

Last edited:
Those 2 are my top choices for replacing the OE Firestone's on my Cruze. I've also considered the Firestone Precision Touring. My criteria are long mileage and good in snow so I don't have to have a separate set of snows. (I keep dedicated snows on my commuter car because getting to work isn't optional).
The Pirelli's have the advantage (over the RT43's) of being LRR for better fuel economy.

One thing I've learned about those TR surveys is that they change over time. When I bought Hankook 727's for one of my cars they were the bees knees...opinions have changed a little as people put more miles on them. The same is true for the Michelin Defender.

I like the solid green marks on both these tires but I'd like to see those surveys in a few years.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Those 2 are my top choices for replacing the OE Firestone's on my Cruze. I've also considered the Firestone Precision Touring. My criteria are long mileage and good in snow so I don't have to have a separate set of snows. (I keep dedicated snows on my commuter car because getting to work isn't optional).
The Pirelli's have the advantage (over the RT43's) of being LRR for better fuel economy.

One thing I've learned about those TR surveys is that they change over time. When I bought Hankook 727's for one of my cars they were the bees knees...opinions have changed a little as people put more miles on them. The same is true for the Michelin Defender.

I like the solid green marks on both these tires but I'd like to see those surveys in a few years.

The P7 is about a year and a half old almost, so I feel a little more confident in those reviews. But both tires are quite new. Time will tell I guess. I do agree that the TR reviews aren't to be taken as gospel. I always supplement them with user reviews on various forums, especially those tests that compare said tire to others. But I researched the [censored] out of these tires, so I feel confident
smile.gif

I think you will be very happy with both sets of tires.

they are definitely very good tires.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
nuttin' like new shoes!

Be sure and check back in after the tires are broken in and used for a while...

Exactly why TR reviews from people raving about new tread must be taken in context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back