Pulled a 2000 lb Trailer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its all good.

I'm a big boy

someday's.

It all boils down to the operator and the equipment. I have an Annual permit in the state of California to haul 126,750lbs on five axles.

I actually got in a bit of a battle of wits with the local DOT over the fact that I didn't have the weight stickers on the side of my tractor. I told him they didn't make a 127,000lb sticker and they wouldn't give me an 80 and a 50 decal for each side.

And even though I have a CA#, USDOT# and a weight sticker for my pickup I refuse to drive around with them on the truck.

Wow, Dualie, that's a serious load to haul!

As far as towing, I've never towed anything. Not even as much as a small flatbed. Then again, I've also never owned a vehicle with a hitch of any sort, either.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
Its all good.

I'm a big boy

someday's.

It all boils down to the operator and the equipment. I have an Annual permit in the state of California to haul 126,750lbs on five axles.

I actually got in a bit of a battle of wits with the local DOT over the fact that I didn't have the weight stickers on the side of my tractor. I told him they didn't make a 127,000lb sticker and they wouldn't give me an 80 and a 50 decal for each side.

And even though I have a CA#, USDOT# and a weight sticker for my pickup I refuse to drive around with them on the truck.

Yea, that's got me beat. 92,000 was the biggest for me. Bottom of the grain bin and I under estimated how much was on the truck. Was following our other semi on the farm and couldn't figure out why I was having such a time keeping up since the trucks were near identical in power. Only difference was one had a 13 speed and the one I was driving had a 10 speed.

Needless to say, I was glad I didn't get pulled over. That would have been a big fine being 12,000 overloaded. I didn't realize I was that overloaded until I rolled on the scale at the elevator. So, at least your loads are legal. :)

I'm curious how much of a handful is the 27k tag along trailer on the pickup compared to a 18 wheeler with a good load? In terms of stopping distance, swerving, etc.

ITs definitely NOT something I would feel safe with anyone who didn't have a direct knowledge of how a loaded vehicle reacts vs an empty one.

With the trailer pictured that setup has 5 braking axles coming down the Siskiyou Pass and a seven-mile 6% grade into Ashland Oregon I only had to touch the service brakes maybe 5 or six times to keep the speed reigned in to a safe speed between 38-43 mph.

Steering and swerving were no worse than they would have been towing the 8,000Lb ski boat.

It would MUCH Better if that trailer would have been a gooseneck or a 5th wheel as they tend to load some weight transfer Onto the steer axle instead of the Tag trailer that takes away from the steer axle. If I felt the load was to much for the rear of the truck I did have the option of adding the equalizer bars to the hitch but I never felt like it was to nose heavy for the truck.

Going by standards both industry accepted and Legally recognized by FMCVSA For the safe tow rating for wheel lift tow trucks. As long as the loaded front axle weight is grater than 50% of the empty steer axle weight its a legal tow as long as your not over your rear axle weights.

If I seen two elderly people pulling this kind of weight down the highway I would be fairly scared and hammer down to get away from them ASAP, Just about as fast as I do when I see them rolling down the highway in their giant diesel pusher motor homes or huge 5th wheel trailers behind single rear wheel trucks.

Junior that's a "light" overload for a grain hauler. Most of the grainhaulers I know are farm tagged and load the hopper bottom till its brimmed, roll the tarp and hit the throttle.

The sad news is with 345,000 miles on the truck the auto trans is on borrowed time. I Just dropped one of my forklifts off in San Francisco and by the time I got done pulling the hills to get to the jobsite my 4R100 was pizzing out fluid on the ground out the overflow with pretty decent volume. IT still runs and drives but its definitely on borrowed time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back