Pull / Release Lever not shutting off engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craftsman 4.5 lawnmower. The bar that I pull in to the handle that allows me to start the engine seems to get stuck when I go to shut it off, it doesn't release. I let go of that saftey handle and the cord doesn't push forward.

Any thought on how to fix that?

Cable may be stretched out and need to be replaced. Another alternative is to drill another hole further up the handle and insert the cable there.

Need a new spring assembly in the starting cord assembly. The spring is worn out.

You can take it apart but keep things from springing loose. Rewind the spring tighter as a patch up but it needs to be replace in the near future.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
Need a new spring assembly in the starting cord assembly. The spring is worn out.

You can take it apart but keep things from springing loose. Rewind the spring tighter as a patch up but it needs to be replace in the near future.

I think he is talking about the lever that you have to hold so if you try to let go and clear the discharge chute it will shut off the engine.

The starter cord is something different.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

I think he is talking about the lever that you have to hold so if you try to let go and clear the discharge chute it will shut off the engine.

The starter cord is something different.

I'm starting to think but you are talking about a 2cycle chain saw...with a kick level as a safety feature.

A pull cord ... I thought what he was talking of on a simple small engine.

Yeah, the cable is bad.

You can disconnect the cable at the engine. Then you shouldn't be able to start it. It may turn over slowly with heavy resistance, but be careful not to break the pull cord. If this is the case, then the compliance stop on the engine is working correctly.

With it disconnected at the engine, a good cable cable should slide freely. If it doesn't you can either go buy a new one, or try getting lube in it and hope it stays free for a while. But if its rusty, and the lube will just be a temporary fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back