pugeout ba10/5 fluid recommendatins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: milesdriven
Thanks. Do you know if it's gl3 or gl5? I've seen conflicting information.

GL-3 is obsolete so it is no longer offered, GL-4 is still around, and is a very different spec than GL-5.

My guess is that it originally spec'd GL-3, so look for a GL-4 product.

Doesn't really matter they aren't hypoid type gears that need gl-5, but nothing for the gl-5 to damage either.

Not many gl-3 options

so your real options are 75w90 GL-4 or GL-5

Gl-5 has extra additives for protection you dont need.
GL-4 may shift better and you can get a specific fluid designed for manual transmissions

but most likely in that horrid transmission it wont matter.

There was a reason that transmission was used for the shortest production run in jeep history.. its basically a light duty car transmission being used in a truck.

Last edited:
I've also seen recommendations for pennzoil synchromesh, which is a gl3 spec but seems awfully thin. Any thoughts on this fluid?

If your gearbox shifts perfectly, gl4 or gl5 wont be a big difference, but if your synchros are starting to wear out, gl4 will work better

Originally Posted By: milesdriven
I just purchased a Peugeot ba10/5 from an 88 jeep Comanche. What should I use for the oil and clutch fluid?

My dad has this same transmission in his '87 Comanche Chief. I believe he used Castrol 75w-90.

I want to say the fill plug has given other people heck with these transmissions. Were you able to get yours off? I think its a 3/8" square.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back