Puff of smoke after piston soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I did the piston soak like I said in "Overseas Piston Soak" in the additives forum, and now I am getting a puff of smoke after sitting at a light too long. I started noticing it after I got the oil changed that day. I got it changed after the piston soak, so there I was used to the smoke coming from the LC. Any ideas on what is going on? ARX will be on it's way soon, but I am wondering if I didn't break something that ARX won't fix.

It's white or a grey from what I can tell. I went from 5-40 down to 5-30 if that makes a difference. I don't think it does. Its the same color as far as I can tell as what was shooting out of the car right after I started it after the piston soak.

Try running the engine at higher than normal rpm's for 15-20 minutes on the highway. I've never done a piston soak, but when I seafoamed my Accord and My Crown Vic they would burn blue smoke after I started the engine. I kept the engines between 3500-4000 rpm for about 10 minutes while I drove them around and the smoke cleared right up.

It has come back. I think this weekend i will take her out for a beating. In the next few weeks the ARX should be coming. Is there a time limit before the rings get situated again, meaning they can be changed after a certain mileage or time period?

Not sure if I understand question, but piston ring replacement after an in-vehicle cylinder hone (quick & dirty overhaul) is SOP.

I'd just let the ARX do it's thing. Then, consider valve stem seal replacement (if that is warranted).

Highway run wasn't in the cards this weekend. But i did notice that it only smokes when the car is warm. Kinda strange. Does this change the diagnonsis

Generally, a puff of blue smoke when going off idle is a sign of valve seals in need of replacement.

Continuous blue smoke is usually a sign of ring problems.

Ironically, your piston soak might have made the rings seal better, creating more vacuum, and accentuating the valve seal problem.

Quote:

Highway run wasn't in the cards this weekend. But i did notice that it only smokes when the car is warm. Kinda strange. Does this change the diagnonsis

Could it be the thinner oil you put in (that is; thinner when warm)? Try going back to 5W-40..

I was thinking about that, but there is no reason to waste this oil as it will be going in for the ARX clean, and then back to a Japanese 5-40HDEO for rinse. I have a Syntec/SLX mix that I want to use sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back