Pudding-like differential fluid

JHZR2

Staff member
The fluids that came out of my brother’s 96 Land Cruiser/LX450 were dark but looked ok. Except the front axle. That came out looking like pudding. Thick and goopy.

97EB2F75-AFC3-4B1E-BC6B-80A476CE3A45.jpeg
577DEB81-31E0-40EC-90EF-64F4DC477079.jpeg

After a long drain, in went supertech 80w-90. I don’t think it should stay in long. What is a good distance to let it disperse the junk and then do a change?

Any thoughts on how many changes will be necessary? This stuff is tenacious. When I was pouring used oil through the funnel that had been used to display of this, the oil could t flush or displace this nasty fluid…

Assuming it has plugs - drive a bit - drain - leave out plugs … then pour a quart of el cheapie through it before putting decent Dino in for a year … don’t waste money on super gear oils - I did the 1st couple rounds/years on the Rubicon with Dino Valvoline …
(Slow break in)
Now have synthetic in rear - Dino upfront

If it is moisture, would it be worth adding something that contains a small amount of IPA to 'emulsify' and help remove the water with the next change? Maybe a little seafoam?

Water intrusion.
I’ve found the front diff gets kind of moist inside even if not immersed in water. Thing is, what I’ve seen in the past due to water intrusion has been more of grey-white streaks in the oil, not this deep black thick gunk.

Is there any sort of axle / hub disconnect? If it's not spinning the driveline or the axle shafts, that means the differential doesn't spin at all unless in 4x4. Which means no heat to evaporate off the moisture.

I’ve found the front diff gets kind of moist inside even if not immersed in water. Thing is, what I’ve seen in the past due to water intrusion has been more of grey-white streaks in the oil, not this deep black thick gunk.
Is it an AWD or 4x4? If 4x4, he probably needs to find someplace he can routinely put it in 4wd and exercise it. I’d also be checking with oil mfrs and ask them which product line best deals with some water intrusion… or just drop to say a 1yr/15k mile change schedule for the front.

Motul Gear 300 is one of the stoutest gear oils I’ve found and even though I know they want to sell more product, they advise a 30k interval. I use it in my Subies, and because it’s dealing with ~30HP per wheel I change it at 100k 😂

The first time I changed the front diff fluid in my 1998 Chevrolet K1500 which I bought new, it was horrible looking and was milky white in color. I had never even had the truck in water. I think it was just from non-use of the 4x4 system and condensation built up inside the diff.

I don't remember how many miles were on the truck at the time, but it wasn't that many miles. I was shocked to see how bad it looked.

miles as well as time effect lubricants. got a 2011 fronty SV 4WD a few years ago only 30 some thou on it + i changed ALL drivetrain lubes to REDLINE, $$ but i gained 3 mpgs + peace of mind!!! drivetrain lubes are often FORGOTTEN until things get noisey or other issues. DIY is cheep if you can!

We got to thinking, and the Birfield joints in there are packed with a LOT of moly grease. If the seals allow mixing of the grease and diff oil, that would thicken things up.

Thanks to @High Performance Lubricants we have this to try to clean things up. Since I have a lot of high mileage Mercedes differentials I’ll also be looking to run some in those. Just need to be able to get some good photos.

3B5C3785-3CC4-460B-B482-4351D3E9F269.jpeg

Back