Public Service Announcement: Flush Your HW Heater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: onetwoothreee
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I'd be pretty curious to see what a lab that tests water would say if you sent them a sample from your water heater.

I sent them a sample. They said it was full of lead.

thumbsup2.gif
You’re good to go then!

Trolling.gif

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Those factory drain valves only have a ~1/4" opening.

It’s not a boiler blowdown, for crying out loud; doing any flush, even with the junky OEM valve, is better that not flushing at all, right?

Last edited:
my gas water heater is 20+ years old still works fine it gets flushed every 6 months because of the high sulfur well water i got.

Originally Posted By: PW01
I wonder if this is necessary when you have a sediment filter and a water softener

Only one way to find out!

Originally Posted By: jakewells
my gas water heater is 20+ years old still works fine it gets flushed every 6 months because of the high sulfur well water i got.

What do you find in the effluent when you flush? Pretty clean or a little (a lot) bit of stuff?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Those factory drain valves only have a ~1/4" opening.

It’s not a boiler blowdown, for crying out loud; doing any flush, even with the junky OEM valve, is better that not flushing at all, right?

Maybe it does. We just turned on the huge faucet in our tub and some brown water came out.

After flushing the heater and before turning it back on, I vented all of the air out of the system, which included a flush of cold water through the tank for several minutes, combined.

Maybe heating the tank back up loosened more junk...I'll do another flush soon to see if more [censored] comes out. I might even replace the valve at the same time, based on your recommendation AND the fact that it was a major pain to twist shut anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back