PU surpassing 1yr OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today my del sol I have listed is at a 1 year OCI on 5w20 PU and a Purolator PureONE filter with a filtermag attached. In that year I have put exactly 5,010 miles on the oil. Every mile of that is highway. Not one single short trip and all at 50+mph. The oil level is exactly as it was filled, perfection no top off needed. The oil isnt black but looks like its been doing its job, definately has a good color to it. The ODO is at 107,750 and Im really wanting to drag out this oil all the way to 110k. In your opinion should I feel comfortable to drag out this change longer than the year? Its going to take maybe another 6 months to get the mileage Im looking for. I have plenty of oil and filters in my stash so its not a huge deal to change it. I just dont have much PU left and I feel like I want to get my money out of this expensive oil.

Last edited:
I'd keep going with the PU and when you change it at 7.5K get a UOA to see how well the oil performed.

IMO....with the Pure One and Filter Mag....you can go much further.

IMO....Maybe next time mix up some PYB and PU in a 50/50 blend. I bet you will have the same, if not better, overall performance.

IMO....PYB with PP/PU in a 50/50 or 60/40 blend may be your ticket.

IMO...All three are great oils for 7+K when blended.

I performed 11 Oil changes this weekend for Family, Friends and Neighbors vehicles.

I used VWB and NAPA synthetic, 50/50: PYB and PP 50/50 and Castrol GTX Dino with Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology...50/50

I used a total of 14.5 Gallons of oil. All of the oil was oil I picked up on sale or at Kmart's down south on Clearance. The only exception was the PP and Napa synthetic which were sale items.

Next weekend....more oil changes and everyone, hopefully will be acccounted for, and will be set for the long cold winter and into late spring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
...you got that "itch" don't you?

you could say that...
lol.gif

I'm in about the same spot with my PU (1 year, 5K miles). I am going to continue using it for another 6 months and 2-3K miles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Go for 2 years/10k miles OCI, you want fresh oil for next winter.
That is sounding pretty good. Would anyone do a filter change going out farther than the year? Keep in mind it will be well into 2012 when this oil more than likely gets changed.

I second HTSS-TR: Go for two years at whatever miles it ends up, or 10K. The way you are driving is oil heaven as far as the operating part goes. As for sitting, the oil barely notes the passage of time except in certain adverse storage situations. I have a long track record with a Honda, a Ford PU, a couple of farm tractors and some farm engines doing just what you are... and I'm not using as good an oil as you are. And the UOAs have been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back