PU better than PP in 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been discussed a lot, but now that PU is published with a higher Noack than PP (in 5w30), and all other published numbers look nearly identical, is there any obvious reason to go with PU other than the advertised claims of better cleaning?

((I understand both are great oils and will far surpass my requirements...am just trying to learn what I might be missing that others are seeing.))

Originally Posted By: lukejo
I know this has been discussed a lot, but now that PU is published with a higher Noack than PP (in 5w30), and all other published numbers look nearly identical, is there any obvious reason to go with PU other than the advertised claims of better cleaning?

PU has higher amount of calcium (2700 vs 2300 ppm), which is a cleaning additive. So this definitely should clean better and run longer. Compare to Amsoil, where 3300+ ppm of calcium.
To be more exact, need to look on Ca+Mg combination.

Okay, that's good to know. Where do you find those levels? I have just been looking at their Technical Data Sheet on their site.

Originally Posted By: lukejo
Where do you find those levels?

I think VOA section on this site is a best place to look.

Head over to the PQIA website for comparisons.

If the cost difference is negligible or I had more cleaning needs, I would go with PU.

Base stock makeup is more important than small Ca level differences. The higher overbase will show more long drain capability but possibly MORE wear in a low saps oil if not balanced with other premium AW/EP agents/lubricants.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Better? What does that even mean? Noack is just one parameter of many.

Exactly, that was my question. As I said, I was only viewing the Tech Data on their site and Noack is the only parameter I see that is different. Obviously "better" means something, or there is no reason for a price difference. You tell me.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Head over to the PQIA website for comparisons.

If the cost difference is negligible or I had more cleaning needs, I would go with PU.

Thanks, will do.

I am curious as to the real difference between Pennzoil Platinum and the Ultra Platinum.

Is the Platinum comparable to regular Mobil 1?

Is the Ultra Platinum comparable to Mobil 1 EP?

To be honest unless you are doing extensive testing it is very hard to compare two different oils. Even though people hate the "marketing" data provided by SOPUS on their oils I think it is the only "data points" available to compare these two oils. Believe it or not I don't know but to me the rest is just conjecture. VOA, PDS, etc all of this is just numbers that doesn't tell you the true performance of an oil.

Pennzoil Ultra:
Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 65% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 25% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 35% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 40% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2. --> Based on ILSAC GF–5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test

Pennzoil Platinum:
Cleaner Pistons: Keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards1. Additionally, keep pistons up to 8% cleaner that Mobil 1, up to 17% cleaner than Valvoline® SynPower®, and up to 20% cleaner than Castrol® EDGE with SYNTEC®2 --> Based on ILSAC GF-5, Sequence IIIG piston deposit test

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
VOA, PDS, etc all of this is just numbers that doesn't tell you the true performance of an oil.

Right.
Moreover, "performance" could mean whatever you want to. It just like asking "the best kind of apples": does "better" mean "crispie" or "sweeter"?

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I am curious as to the real difference between Pennzoil Platinum and the Ultra Platinum.

Is the Platinum comparable to regular Mobil 1?

Is the Ultra Platinum comparable to Mobil 1 EP?

I think we are all curious, and we all wish that SOPUS would clarify just what it thinks is different about PUP versus the new PP besides "cleaning".

Any car nut who takes good care of their engine knows it's going to stay nice and clean with any suitable oil and regular oil changes (barring major malfunction), so who is SOPUS marketing to? The car enthusiast who buys sludged-up engines and is cleaning them out? Then they immediately switch back to their favorite oil? Just how big is THAT market?

SOPUS markets Ultra to folks that want the "best" motor oil in their vehicles.

It does offer more calcium for increased cleaning.

PP is a complete motor oil.

But if you want the "best", go for the Ultra.

At least, that's the way SOPUS wants you to think.

Ultra Platinum has a stronger add pack which requires more carrier oil...hence the higher NOACK. The stronger add pack trumps the lower NOACK, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back