PU 5w20 2013 Challenger 5.7L Hemi 4,678 miles on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter was Napa Gold 7899

Blackstone Comments:
This sample from your Challenger has some high copper, but that's not too unusual for a relatively new engine like this. Copper is from brass/bronze parts, and it's often the highest metal during wear-in of the new engine, since those parts don't receive a final finish polish at the factory like steel or aluminum parts would. Since copper starts out the highest, it takes the longest to drop down to normal levels. Averages are based on ~5,800 miles of oil use. Everything else looks good here, so we don't think copper is a problem. Your TBN is strong at 5.9. Nice!

Code:
MI on Oil 4,678

MI on Unit 17,376

Sample Date 10/11/14

Make Up Oil Added 0 qt

Oil Type PU 5w20

Universal Avgs

ALUMINUM 2 2

CHROMIUM 0 1

IRON 10 18

COPPER 80 37

LEAD 1 1

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 57 78

NICKEL 1 1

MANGANESE 1 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 2 1

POTASSIUM 2 3

BORON 78 49

SILICON 9 8

SODIUM 5 55

CALCIUM 2492 2004

MAGNESIUM 43 194

PHOSPHORUS 776 805

ZINC 893 802

BARIUM 0 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 54.1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.51

Flashpoint in °F 425

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles TR

TBN 5.9

Seems like my Hemi is doing well.

Originally Posted By: CT8
What kind of MPGs are you getting?

17-21mpg local, 24-25 highway

Didn't buy it for the mpgs.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker

cool.gif

Mines a bit older but I get better highway mpg believe it or not.

Great cars. Great engines. Considering what's going on with mds these days I've found myself longing for a hemi in everything.
I'm planning on a supercharger for mine this spring with my tax refund. Then I'll be able to keep up with the newer ones.

^^^^Agreed. Two hemis here now, one 6.1 and one 5.7.

The 6.1 has averaged 17 mpg across over 100k miles including 200 drag strip passes and road course track days!

The new Ram is consistently above 18. Fantastic engines with excellent performance...

I did this UOA to get a baseline, and changed the oil with only 4,678 miles to get it done before cold weather comes. No doubt I can easily run this oil to 7,500 miles.

The Wix filters are doing a great job.

I used to have a 70 Challenger with the hi po 340 and stick shift and I did enough freeway driving to remember never getting over 12 MPGs But then the speed limit was less than a guide more of an impediment for pedal to the medal. The new Challengers are impressive.

Last edited:
I used to have a 70 Challenger with the hi po 340 and stick shift and I did enough freeway driving to remember never getting over 12 MPGs But then the speed limit was less than a guide more of an impediment for pedal to the medal. The new Challengers are impressive.

Back in college, a friend had a bright yellow Duster with a 340. My gosh that car was fast.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Is this the old Pennzoil Ultra formula?

Yes. I bought a ton of it with the FRN deal last spring.

I did this UOA to get a baseline, and changed the oil with only 4,678 miles to get it done before cold weather comes. No doubt I can easily run this oil to 7,500 miles.

The Wix filters are doing a great job.

No doubt it can go 7500 easy. Might even go 9 to 10K.

cool.gif

Is it auto or manual?

Bookmaker,
SRT recommends an oil with a high moly count. It is beneficial for VVT function. Yours seems to be on the low side.

I also have a 13 RT and I was using the Amsoil XL 0w20, when I read the chat session where they recommended high moly I switched over to the Amsoil SS and I noticed a much smoother transition of power coming from the lower RPM to higher RPM.

Originally Posted By: dtru
Bookmaker,
SRT recommends an oil with a high moly count. It is beneficial for VVT function. Yours seems to be on the low side.

I also have a 13 RT and I was using the Amsoil XL 0w20, when I read the chat session where they recommended high moly I switched over to the Amsoil SS and I noticed a much smoother transition of power coming from the lower RPM to higher RPM.

You're not going to be able to "notice" anything. Butt dynos are .... you know.

Bookmaker,

Yet the SRT certified oils have very low moly so why would that be.

And the SRT engine is much different than the standard hemi in an rt.
And let's get real here. I've got a very sensitive butt dyno and I saw,heard and felt no difference between 20 grades.
Going up to a 40 grade did change things however,in the free revving of the engine but no change with in motion performance.
So I'm calling bull on this one. I own an rt so speaking from experience
And you might wanna do a little digging as far as your moly comment. The pennzoil certified oil isn't high in moly at all,so what you've read,and believe looks like more bull to me.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Bookmaker,

You're not going to be able to "notice" anything. Butt dynos are .... you know.

Except that I have.

I know that butt dyno's are anecdotal and there are many different variables but I was hunting down an issue with my vehicles. This is the third Dodge 5.7 that I have owned and each one of them had VVT. The power output was very inconstant, sometimes when accelerating from a stop it would pull very hard and put you into your seat, then the next time it would feel bogged down until it hit 3k and the power would kick in. I had been using Amsoil XL in each one until I read the chat session and after researching I noticed that the XL series has less moly than the SRT branded oil, which is just pennzoil. The SS has more so I switched and the issue immediately improved. The low end power is always there and the power output is smooth from 1k to redline. There are no more surges at the 3k mark.

Like I said I know this is anecdotal but my main point was that the SRT engineers said that a high moly count is beneficial for VVT function and the UOI the OP posted shows that he is lower than the average.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Bookmaker,

Yet the SRT certified oils have very low moly so why would that be.

And the SRT engine is much different than the standard hemi in an rt.
And let's get real here. I've got a very sensitive butt dyno and I saw,heard and felt no difference between 20 grades.
Going up to a 40 grade did change things however,in the free revving of the engine but no change with in motion performance.
So I'm calling bull on this one. I own an rt so speaking from experience
And you might wanna do a little digging as far as your moly comment. The pennzoil certified oil isn't high in moly at all,so what you've read,and believe looks like more bull to me.

What is a low moly count to you? The SRT branded oil has a higher moly count than the Amsoil XL series I was using.

I have a "sensitive" butt dyno also. I have been trying different things to fix the issue I posted in the above comment. Yes the 6.4 and the 5.7 are different engines but they both use VVT/VCT. Switching to SS from XL there was an immediate and consistent difference.

What different 20 grades did you use, and why are you running a 40 in a 5.7 that calls for 5w20? Do you have a blower? 20 weight is required for proper MDS function, if you have it of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back