PU 5w-30 6,002mi 2009 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the report from Blackstone for my 2009 Silverado 4x4 Crew Cab with the Max Trailer Package (13,900 miles on the truck at sample time). I changed the oil then headed out to Wyoming for a hunting trip. The set up includes an Amsoil air and oil filter and a Filtermag.

Towed a big horse trailer both ways at 70 to 75 MPH even thru the mountains along with M A N Y miles of super dusty roads.

Had 20 Antelope and Mule Deer in the trailer on the way back. Don't ask about fuel mileage
shocked.gif

Blackstone1.jpg

Keep on keepin' on.

+1 for using a truck how it's meant to be used... hauling a bunch of things you just killed.

If this is a 2500HD then it has an engine oil cooler that is in the radiator. Could be where the copper is comming from.

Sorry to say but it is a 1500 Silverado but it pulls like a 3/4 ton truck with the 6 liter engine.

No need to uoa a new engine - wait till 25K when its broken in. Then, there is still no need to UOA this engine. Viscosity is low and the insol count is high for a fancy filter setup.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No need to uoa a new engine - wait till 25K when its broken in. Then, there is still no need to UOA this engine. Viscosity is low and the insol count is high for a fancy filter setup.

The UOA on a new(ish) engine is useful if you are using the UOA as it is meant to be used, for determining oil condition/longevity.

If you are looking for wear metals, then I agree it is useless on a new engine. But then again, the UOA isn't necessarily all that accurate for evaluating actual engine wear anyway.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Sorry to say but it is a 1500 Silverado but it pulls like a 3/4 ton truck with the 6 liter engine.
It may still have one. If you look at both ends of the rad you might see a second set of metal lines going in. Not sure if the 1500 has them or not.

Shearing is disappointing, but not unheard of. Silicon is a little high, perhaps due to the dusty conditions. Flashpoint looks good.

What was the OLM reading at 6K miles?

The computer said that it had 43% oil life left but I was itching to send a sample in and see how that oil stood up to the trip so I couldn't wait.

43%. Interesting. Apparently the OLM thinks your trailering through the mountains at 70-75 MPH wasn't very hard on the oil. Although the OLM didn't know about the dusty conditions, it indicates you could have driven under those conditions for 10K miles on any GM6094M dino (minus the dust).

For the sake of OLM accuracy and PU capability, I would hope that the oil shearing had stabilized and wouldn't have continued for another 4K miles (to 0% on the OLM). Based on the silicon and insolubles levels (possibly from the dust), I wouldn't feel bad about the change at 6K.

Last edited:
Here is the report from Blackstone for my 2009 Silverado 4x4 Crew Cab with the Max Trailer Package (13,900 miles on the truck at sample time).

Towed a big horse trailer both ways at 70 to 75 MPH even thru the mountains along with M A N Y miles of super dusty roads.

(Off topic)

GM says in the owners manual to change the rearend lube after the first 500 miles of towing. It should be in the service section of your owners manual. I found that Amsoil SVG 75w-90 works better than Mobil-1 or Valvoline, but I think that the original factory fill (Texaco) worked the best in my 2001 GMC truck with G-80 differential.

Loobed, you scared me for a bit on that post so I looked at the owners manual and it says, "Do to tow a trailer during the first 500 miles when it is new then during the first 500 miles of towing do not make full throttle starts". Page 4-51 of the owners manual.

I do plan on dropping the factory fill very soon on the diffs and install Amsoil Severe Gear or something similar. I have heard good things about that fluid.

Loobed, you scared me for a bit on that post so I looked at the owners manual and it says, "Do to tow a trailer during the first 500 miles when it is new then during the first 500 miles of towing do not make full throttle starts". Page 4-51 of the owners manual.

I do plan on dropping the factory fill very soon on the diffs and install Amsoil Severe Gear or something similar. I have heard good things about that fluid.

Look at section 7 "Maintenance Schedule" of your owners manual under the 7,500 mile service listing. Mine (2001) is on page 7-9. Mine says it is recommended to change the gear oil after the "first" 500 miles of towing.

Well I looked thru the entire manual and couldn't find anything like that. I am thinking that somewhere between our trucks 2001 - 2009 they must have deleted that. But I will look again to see if I overlooked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back