PT Plywood

It looks like using a stain for PT wood is best, but I'm reading conflicting info on the need for sealing of PT. Some say yes, some say no. I see I need to let it dry out good; after all the heat we've had I think it's dry already after only a week out in the sun. Regardless: it's for a trailer deck, only need to get a few years out of it, don't care about looks.

[I had a sheet of advantec that lasted 8 or so years. The second sheet I painted in hopes of lasting longer, but nope. Time for something different. Not interested in using 2x's here, they would last longer but add weight I think. Trailer is very light duty.]

[Ignore the sides, I should have painted them years ago, they are probably not worth saving now. The 4x4 on top is drying out for a different project.]
trailer.jpg

I would liberally apply Thomson's Water Seal several times, letting it soak in and dry between applications. UV light really degrades wood quickly which is why unprotected wood starts to turn color and lose surface fibers. So I would park it out of the sun or throw a tarp over the floor to keep it dark except when in use. Should last a long time!

Reactions: JC1
Lately the PT I've worked with is not of great quality.... originally on our 5x8' I put down 3/4" and painted it (all side, plus sand for grip). Lasted a good 10 years, the last two is was loosing chunks. I don't think PT plywood would have lasted any longer. Now marine grade plywood, maybe.

Went with Trex boards this go around... a bit heavier, but it would last the remaining life of the trailer.

Back