PT cruiser headlight assembly install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
need a quick overview of installing nerw headlight assemblies on a 2003 PT cruiser. just got them from AAP. considering time and light and cold weather, tools needed and a quick how to will be great thanks!

I've got an '01 Cruiser, so I was curious what it would take. From the 2001 Service Manual (probably the same for an '03):

1. Raise vehicle on a hoist.
(not a good sign)
2. Remove wheel and tire.
3. Remove splash shield as necessary to access headlamp housing.
4. Remove grille.
(getting serious)
5. Remove the two fascia bolts from behind the grille (Fig. 1) and (Fig. 2).
6. Remove fasteners attaching fender to fascia on the side being worked on.
(the front fascia is the molded part that includes the bumper, OK now it's serious)
7. Remove the three fasteners holding the lower fascia to the lower radiator crossmember.
8. Remove four nuts attaching headlamp housing (Fig. 3).
9. Remove headlamp housing by lowering the fascia as necessary (Fig. 4) and (Fig. 5).
10. Disconnect wire connector.

Installation is pretty much the reverse, except they add a step to check the lamps before buttoning it up.

Well, there you have it. Sounds like a bit of a job. Good luck.

Last edited:
It's a PT Cruiser. They pretty much could have gotten away with copying the manual from a Neon and replacing every instance of "open hood" with "remove front fascia and relocate radiator"

Originally Posted By: yonyon
It's a PT Cruiser. They pretty much could have gotten away with copying the manual from a Neon and replacing every instance of "open hood" with "remove front fascia and relocate radiator"

not exactly in this instance.
I recently replaced the light fixtures in my neon.
Which is only a step harder than changing the bulbs. (you have to remove the light assembly to change the bulbs in the neon)

for the neon:(from the FSM)
1)disconnect the negative Terminal
2)Remove the (3) screws attaching headlamp assembly to upper cross member
3)Remove headlamp assembly from vehicle
4)Disconnect wire connector from back of headlamp
5)Remove bulb (or toss old assembly in the trash, and acquire new assembly)

reverse for install.

Last edited:
It really won't be nearly as bad as it sounds. There are just those "what were they thinking?!?!?!" moments. If you have the option of doing this in a heated garage that the car's been sitting in for an hour or so that will make it easier than dealing with cold plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back