PSA: Change your evaporator pad

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
😬

Put this humidifier in last winter and was looking at the humidity today because it got really cold last night and then it dawned on me that I hadn't changed the pad yet..... Whoops!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1186.jpg

Took a bit of work to get all the buildup off the frame. New pad was $15 from Home Depot.

I have a similar WAIT system on my furnace but without the digital display. When orginally installed by my HVAC guy I would regularly replace the element but lately I haven't been turning it on because one year I had trouble opening the water valve (self-piercing) that caused a small leak. I have a digital hygrometer next to my thermostat in my dining room with a current readout of 28%. How much interior humidity should we have? I keep my thermostat at 22c.

I have a similar WAIT system on my furnace but without the digital display. When orginally installed by my HVAC guy I would regularly replace the element but lately I haven't been turning it on because one year I had trouble opening the water valve (self-piercing) that caused a small leak. I have a digital hygrometer next to my thermostat in my dining room with a current readout of 28%. How much interior humidity should we have? I keep my thermostat at 22c.
The experts say 30 - 50% for comfort, but in cold-weather places like here, that would lead to condensation and mold.

Our house is fairly tight, and left unchecked the humidity gets way too hugh. Instead of a humidifier, we run an HRV to exhaust the stake humid air and bring in cold dry air. This improves the air quality and controls the humidity. I set the HRV according to outside temperature; when it's really good cold out (in excess of -30°C), I have to turn the humidistat on the HRV down to around 15 - 20% RH to minimize the condensation and ice build-up on the windows. (The windows are tripanes, which helps some, but not enough.)

Thanks. My house was built in 2004 so there's no HRV unit. As you mentioned an indicator is window condensation and that seems to be in check. Everything in the house is original including windows, roof, front doors, furnace, water heater, attic insulation etc. so it's not as tight as it was. I'm just trying to keep everything running as best I can. In years past with the humdifier set to outside temperatures I would notice condensation on certain windows so now I just leave it off (plus issue mentioned earlier) and make sure to open curtains and blinds to monitor moisture levels; It's also nice to let the sunshine whenever possible.

Last edited:
I run an Ecobee thermostat that I have tied into the humidifier, so it controls the humidity level relative to outside temperature. I find it works pretty well.

Reactions: JC1
Our house is older, 1990ish, but was built crazy tight. We added the HRV in 1995 because the humidity was so high. You'd open a door in the winter, and the moist air would tumble out of the house, forming instant fog.
Thanks. My house was built in 2004 so there's no HRV unit. As you mentioned an indicator is window condensation and that seems to be in check. Everything in the house is original including windows, roof, front doors, furnace, water heater, attic insulation etc. so it's not as tight as it was. I'm just trying to keep everything running as best I can. In years past with the humdifier set to outside temperatures I would notice condensation on certain windows so now I just leave it off (plus issue mentioned earlier) and make sure to open curtains and blinds to monitor moisture levels; It's also nice to let the sunshine whenever possible.

This is why I decided to not put in a whole house humidifier...I would just get condensation on the windows too often as the house itself maintains around 30-35% on its own most of the winter. I put a tabletop steam unit in the nursery for my 7 month old, which keeps his room at closer to 50% overnight and this seems to be the best solution. Opposite problem in the garage all winter...no floor drains so I run a dehumidifier constantly to mitigate the snow melt.

less than 30% humidity your wood floors will crack. more than 55% they'll cup and bow...so keep an eye on that too.

Back