PS pump failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove her car this morning. Down to 20F last night, about freezing when I started it ~9:30am. Belt chirped, some pulsing in wheel and weak assist. I got out to check fluid level and it was good. She said it has been like that when cold, like under 45F. I didn't know that. I probably haven't driven it in a month or six weeks and not since the weather turned. I put 1k miles on it in a week in September on vacation and it was flawless. (The drive from here to the Continental Divide in Montana and back is really quite pretty.
wink.gif
). Oh yeah, Lexus ES300 2003.

once the car is driven a short distance, everything's fine.

I replaced the pump 4.5 years ago/75k miles ago with one from O'Reillys. Normally I'd rebuild it myself but at that time, it failed suddenly and we needed the car fixed asap, so I bit the bullet and got one at the nearby O'Reillys. Since then, I've swapped the reservoir fluid every 30k with top quality ATF, and added some Lubegard for seal treatment. It has not been losing fluid.

I'm wondering what's going on in the cold, and with a non-leaking, not that old factory rebuilt pump. Could it be something in the rack?

Most likely belt tension is too low. The higher viscosity of the cold fluid requires more torque to turn the pump and the grab of the belt is less in the cold. If the belt is just marginally tight, it will work normal at higher temps and slip at colder temps.

Are you supposed to use ATF in it?

I agree with @toad if the belt is straining the pump is actually trying to do something. When belt does slip of course you lose power steering.

How big a PITA is R&R?

If nothing else O'Reilly LT warranty is killer, IME. But yeah, you're arguably replacing junk with junk

I had to do a pump in a y2k camry V6, probably the same pump. And it was the pump that needed fixing.

R&R is pretty annoying. At least they put a slot in for the bolt that won't come out all the way.

Start cheap ... check the belt first. I had the EXACT symptoms on my Subaru, slight chirp, weak assist, steering wheel shudder. I checked fluid, belt tension, all good. I decided to remove the belt to check P/S pump pulley, and found the belt was hard and brittle. It was 5 years old, but felt like hard plastic. Replaced the belt for $ 20.00, and everything is good.

I've noticed my '99 Camry does the same thing--cold weather, doesn't like it if I turn the steering wheel too fast. I don't hear any belt slippage. It's been a while since I've changed the PS fluid but it wasn't that long ago (which is to say, more changes than the typical car). I'm going to run with the notion that it's just an old car and it's easier to ignore it.
wink.gif

I haven't tested it but I wonder if just rev'ing it up a couple of times wouldn't help it warm up the pump all the faster in cold temps.

Belt tension may be the issue.

I had a heck of a time getting the belt tight enough when I did the pump rebuild, had to revisit it a few times. Made a lot of noise, and I got a Gatorback to solve the issues. So it's a GY Gatorback that has been there four years I guess.

Yes, PS pump on these 1mz-fe engines is a PITA. Even belt tension adjust is annoying: jack, remove RF wheel, fender liner, then loosen, pry, lever, tighten, repeat. Probably I need to go through that tomorrow and tighten the belt.

Rack replacement on these is not terrible; I'd just rather wait until warm weather. It's really the only thing up front I haven't done at some point (it is at 315k miles and has been rigorously maintained, drives really nicely). I'm prepared to do the rack and do the inner tie rods when necessary. The HP hose is also known to leak on these. I've gotten this far keeping it working via Lubegard, frequent fluid (Dex III) changes, etc. Inner tie rods are probably due so maybe I should plan to do the rack and rods/align next spring. So might be good to do the rack, rods, HP hose next spring anyway.

It was 5 years old, but felt like hard plastic. Replaced the belt for $ 20.00, and everything is good.

I'll crawl under tomorrow and check the built; at least four years old. I'd think the Gatorback would be god but if it's hard I'll get a replacement (Continental branded now).

I appreciate you all checking my (lazy, sloppy) thinking. I spent a few hours last night and two to three today tearing the doors and ignition apart on my step-sons 2003 Civic and rebuilding all the lock cylinders - Oh wow Honda has bad lock design! I re-pinned all four locks as well as had to figure out the sequence, none of them were wholly complete from past tinkering by prior owner. I was kinda brain-dead this evening!

unnamed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back