PS for 2004 GM product

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prestone power steering fluid works best in my Buick. Yes you can use a DexronIII if you want. I'd try a synthetic if I was going to and actually might soon.

Redline high temp atf is closer in viscosity to power steering fluid with a high quality synthetic base. It's something I'm considering.

I would stick with whatever fluid the factory recommends for that pump. Plus, there are many different good PS fluids out there to choose from.

GM used to specify atf before psf, so it should be fine, the biggest issue is some atfs are much thinner than the power steering fluid, which is why the Redline high temp atf will work very well.

I don't belive GM or Chrysler ever spec'd ATF for the PS system.They have always been dedicated PS fluid.As for Ford they have used Type F,then Dex,then Mercon V.

If you don't want anything special, just buy some Valvoline PSF. If you want something better, get some Redline PSF (not ATF). ATF might okay, many people have used it, but I have always used PSF in GM vehicles. These are the fluids I've used and they work good. The Redline works especially well if you have any cold weather issues. I just got rid of my '01 Grand Prix and I only ever used Valvoline PSF for 230,000 miles and never had an issue.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I don't belive GM or Chrysler ever spec'd ATF for the PS system.They have always been dedicated PS fluid.As for Ford they have used Type F,then Dex,then Mercon V.

I'm not sure about GM, but the Chrysler PT Cruiser and several versions of the T&C van call for ATF+4.

Now with GM cars, I am not sure. Other than models like the Pontiac Vibe, I am only used to seeing PSF.

Don't think so. My 2001 Tahoe specifies PS fluid, not ATF. I believe GM changed sometime in the late 90's on that viewpoint.

Originally Posted By: meadows
Book says PS fluid. Can regular ATF be used? How about the new ATF dextron fluids? Tractor fluids?

I used Lubegard PSF in my 2004 Buick Rainier. Helped quiet the system down a bit and slightly reduced steering effort. I procured it from Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back