Provent Style crancase filetrs for diesel engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All Been a while since I have posted

I am trying to find out about pro vent filter by Mann hummel

These filter's are a coalescing type from what I hear

I have 2 of them connected to my late model CRD diesel engines and they work really well stops any oil from the PCV entering the air inlet system on the engines when the oil mixes with the EGR vapours it becomes a black sludge that ends up killing the engine so I fitted the provent problem solved till now

Both my engines are at the 100,000 kilometre mark Mann Hummel recommends changing the filter in the provent at 70,000 kilometres so I am over both targets in my vehicles

my question has any of the members used these filters and did they just replace the internal filter with the fabric Mann Hummel type or with a currently available stainless steel mesh which is washable being washable would mean I would clean it more often but not have to replace it at for

The fabric ones are $80 each same price for the stainless gauze units

Its not really the money issue its about being able to ruse what I have instead of waiting days to get the fabric ones I can just clean the normal ones and keep going

I asked a question about catch cans too. You will not get any answers since most members here are from the US and it seems that Catch Cans arent common over there.
My best guess is that the Mann catch can would do a better job since it was engineered for that. Those generic catch cans with just a mesh inside doesnt inspire that much confidence from what i've seen.

Over a decade ago I was only the second person on TDIClub to document the install of a Provent on my 2003 Golf TDI.

The original Provent was far too big for the 1.9 engine (was designed for heavy trucks) but they have smaller models now. It's critical that the airflow is high through the unit to spin-out the oil droplets, not just rely on the coalescing media.

My advice, get the right filter element, don't micky-mouse it. It has to be very fine to catch the drops.

You also have to remember that this will not solve the deposits build up but slow it. According to the spec sheets the oil separation efficiency on these Provent media ranges from 80%-85% for the normal media and 85%-90% for the high efficiency one.

So fitting a catch can will slow the build up dramatically. Now imagine what would be the efficiency of those generic catch cans.

Thanks Guys
I have had a tune installed in all my diesels that switches of the EGR valves and fitted provent 200,s to all my vehicles

when I service them I inspect the inlets and so forth they are dry as no oil vapour seems to be getting through both my vehicles are now reaching the 100,000k mark on the pro-vents and have decided to replace the internal filters on these units

I have designed custom made stainless filter inserts and have had them made in china and I am testing a couple of them back to back as I buy and sell a few diesel cars and vans over here and to every one I fit a Provent filter and add a tune to disable the EGR thoroughly cleaning the intake system first

I then have no comebacks from anyone I sell the vehicles to

They also tell there friends so I have started buying quite a few diesel cars and vans lately and selling a few more of them

I only do the European diesels and have been getting good results on the VW TDI engines they need a provent type catch can especially when they are up in the k,s

The last Audi A3 2.0 D tdi I drained nearly a litre of oil out of the whole system not to mention the black gunk and the turbo was dripping oil since cleaning it all out and fitting the provent its all dry under there and the guy I sold it to is really happy with the car

Thanks for all the info I will post on my finding using the stainless Provent inserts

I am about to test them on a 06 Renault master I just bought already done the tune disabling the EGR next will be cleaning the entire intake system then fitting the new provent filters
I have had made and sending it out into the real world being a delivery van its not likely to get treated very well and cop some abuse a good test I am thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back