Proud owner of a new F150 ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stockrex
Congrats,
Do you have an option to turn off the auto stop?

Sometimes you need to read the whole thread.........
crazy.gif

I have a '15 2.7L and have posted a few UOAs with heavy towing. Be cautious about following the "i"OLM mine runs to 10k on the nose regardless of use. The owners manual has some rough ballparks on when to expect the change notification based on use. I'd use that as a guideline.

As far as start/stop. I've worked to develop some S/S engines and they are well protected. The automaker gets a CAFE credit for having it on the vehicle and then applies for expeditions for when it will not engage. Basically, every situation that is likely harmful to the engine does not allow a S/S cycle. There is a lot more to marking the technology work than a heavy duty starter.

My work truck is a 2.7 ecoboost, I love the truck and hate the stop start feature. I have every intention of performing the above mentioned stop start delete. I thought it wouldn't bother me at first but after six months of turning it on and off I've had it.

I have an '16 F150 with the 2.7, it doesn't use the starter to restart during start/stop. Through computer programming it leaves a piston at just before TDC, then when signaled to start sends an electrical pulse to the alternator to start, so no worries on extra starter motor wear.

I have been following the IOLM every OC, the truck currently has 28,000 mi. and it does indeed take you to 10,000 mi. I took the factory fill to approx. 10,000 mi. also, did a UOA at 20,000 mi. and other than the viscosity being low (5w-30 sheared to 20w) the sample came back fine.

I'm not too concerned with starter wear or battery wear - I can usually change those myself.

The part that worries me is replacing the flywheel when the ring gear gets worn out. That is the expensive replacement. But I believe that someone has technology that doesn't use the starter.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I thought start/stop technology was just a hack to show a better result during EPA testing. I never thought anyone that kept a vehicle long term would even consider using it. Modern engines use very little fuel idling at a stop light and this start/stop routine can be little more than wear and tear on a vehicle.

Even better: It's just a gimmick that has no bearing on most of the EPA test.

I had a 2016 F150 Supercab 4x4 with 2.7 eco for about 18 mos. I traded it for a 2018 F150 Supercab 4x4 with 2.7 eco.I bought it for the extra 6 ported injectors to keep the intake valves clean, and the change in the torque curve. The 2016 had 375 lbs/ft at 3000 RPM. The 2018 has 400 lbs/ft at 2750 RPM. It just plain feels stronger in normal stop, and go driving. These are initial impressions as I only have 150 miles on it. I haven't been above 3000 RPM yet because I break in engines easy. Auto Start/Stop sucks the big wazoo. I just turn it off.

The iOLM does both time and distance on my former 2012 3.5 EB. From the apparent miles ppl are doing in this thread, they are using the mileage allowance faster than the time. The interval IIRC is 10k/1yr. The % would to ck down if not driven a few days but would allow for more miles per % right after one of those time based losses.

Say that the truck is parked and loses 3% oil life while parked. You get in and then drive 300 miles. The iOLM would lose 0% for those miles and 1% per 100miles after that.

Congrats on the truck. I bet that the start stop does save fuel. I know that my 335i gets great FE for a 3L that gets over 300/300 hp/tq.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I have an '16 F150 with the 2.7, it doesn't use the starter to restart during start/stop. Through computer programming it leaves a piston at just before TDC, then when signaled to start sends an electrical pulse to the alternator to start, so no worries on extra starter motor wear.

This is interesting. I'm going to have to do some reading about that.

If I had one, I'd try a tank with S/S left on and one with it disabled and see if there are significant mileage differences. If there wasn't, I'd just make it a habit of turning it off when I start the truck. Start engine, seatbelt, put phone in holder, disable S/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back