Proud of my products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Bitog 'Automotive General' topic name should be changed to 'Domestic vs Import Flaming'

The funny thing is you wont see the GM and Ford guys going into the Toy/Honda threads and bashing the foreign cars. At least not the people that I generally regard as having a worthwhile opinion.

These same guys who enjoy bashing on GM over and over never make any valid points or address any valid points that are made in their direction. They continue to act and post as if no foreign car has ever had a problem....lol. It s almost juvenile.

The proper title would more likely be "Foreign Owners who like to Bash Domestic Makes"....I challenge you to find one post of mine in any foreign thread that is bashing. You wont see me in the Honda or Toyota thread saying "neither". But daily posts of GM bashers PT and his ilk are routine and boring.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

The glee some seem to take in the demise of the American auto industry will always mystify me. It's like the GM vs Ford thing. I hate GM, but for very healthy reasons....lol. Just an honest way Ford and GM guys used to rib each other and say the others stuff was junk. I never wanted GM to dissappear, just be secnd fiddle to Ford. But this new hate stuff is more personal, its as if they want GM and the entire industry to disappear from our shores. Why is that?

I guess you have never been on the receiving end of all the arrogant dopes that work for General Motors. Ever try doing business with them? They aren't exactly the nicest crew in Detroit. If you worked in the supplier tiers you KNOW what I am talking about. If you worked for an OE you probably have no clue.

The arrogant dopes are the ones who held the Corporation at knife point and extorted ridiculus wages and benefits from them. The arrogant dopes are the government officials who think they can legislate what the market wants to buy. The arrogant dopes are the people who forced this take over at the cost of investors and bond holders. The BK procedings were entirely illegal and unprecendented, GM would have been better off walking from the table like Ford did.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
What is sad is outsiders who think they understand what other people are living. No one has wool pulled over their eyes other than the people who cant see and acknowledge the very differences between the trillions in the bank bail out and the measely GM bailout.

That key distinction is that the banks and the foreign investors who stole trillions from us all. Weren't taken over by their employees union in order to secure the loan. They werent subjegated to the controls and whims of people who know nothing of the business they have taken over. They didnt have to suffer the indignation of having to appear on national tv and beg for their loan. They werent made the face of this whole thing while the true criminals walked away with trillions.

The auto industry was vilified and allowed to be ransacked by the very people whos wages put it in a strangle hold. Excuse me if I dont share the enthusiasm some seem to have for this whole fiasco.

The glee some seem to take in the demise of the American auto industry will always mystify me. It's like the GM vs Ford thing. I hate GM, but for very healthy reasons....lol. Just an honest way Ford and GM guys used to rib each other and say the others stuff was junk. I never wanted GM to dissappear, just be secnd fiddle to Ford. But this new hate stuff is more personal, its as if they want GM and the entire industry to disappear from our shores. Why is that?

I like you!

Thanks. I'm a Ford guy, but I'm sick of this incessant bashing of GM. Seems to be the same people over and over again. Never bringing anything new to the table and based in angry bitterness.

Whatever the story is... I will never buy a GM or Chrysler or Ford product because I'm sick and tired of the company and the UAW's antics and complete B.S. game playing.

Whether the quality is as good or better, I will never go back.

I will not support such nonsense from any company, not because it is "Domestic" or because I think "Foreign" is better, but because I'm tired of being robbed and I'm tired of employing people at the UAW and the higher ups that ride Golden Parachutes all the time on other peoples buck.

Sorry GMBoy, wish I could put food on your table, but unfortunately it is the higher ups and the UAW that have taken it away from you by P***ING me off along with others while topping the cake with their shotty cars for years before that.

frown.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Whatever the story is... I will never buy a GM or Chrysler or Ford product because I'm sick and tired of the company and the UAW's antics and complete B.S. game playing.

Whether the quality is as good or better, I will never go back.

You JUST said in the other thread that you'd consider a Ford product. Now you are changing your mind.....

I'm not changing my mind... I said I might buy a Ford but that it depended on what they do in the future. Most likely they will be as stupid as the other 2, but we will have to see.

I posted that in the other thread after this thread... Look at the times.

Good to know I have a post monitor though...
48.gif

Man you Ford guys get [censored] about your products.
smirk2.gif
lol.gif

I'm not changing my mind... I said I might buy a Ford but that it depended on what they do in the future. Most likely they will be as stupid as the other 2, but we will have to see.

I posted that in the other thread after this thread... Look at the times.

Good to know I have a post monitor though...
48.gif

Man you Ford guys get [censored] about your products.
smirk2.gif
lol.gif

Most likely?

As it stands Ford has no intentions of following the route the other two took. That is why they are doing better than them..... The consumers have been speaking with their buying choices.

What is your basis for this "most likely" statement? Do you know Alan Mulally personally?

And yes, coming from a guy who's family has been buying Ford products for the better part of a century I do get somewhat miffed when somebody makes a baseless off the cuff remark about the company's future.

OVERK1LL, I'm rattling your chains... I know how passionate you are for Ford. Relax... You know me better than that.
wink.gif

I told you that I like the new Escape... I will be sitting idly by though and watching while my Santa Fe wears out. Then will make a decision because by then hopefully they will have surely proven they are different. I see the beginnings of it but it's still too early yet IMO.

Thanks. I'm a Ford guy, but I'm sick of this incessant bashing of GM. Seems to be the same people over and over again. Never bringing anything new to the table and based in angry bitterness.

thumbsup2.gif

Well, whatever. The rule is it's easy to ruin a reputation but hard to regain it. NO doubt GM is the poster child for that. I hate what the uppers did to the company. I didn't do it but I work as hard as I can with what I have to do the right thing. That's all I can do. I get a great salary and work with some awesome people. We have great new models out and more coming so maybe we can change all the bad ways this final go around and win back all the people who were screwed. Maybe even PT1. But I keep an open mind and wish some others did too. I realize what went wrong and why - but I do see REAL change finally but the outsiders don't see it. Something must be going right because my plant is working MAX overtime - has been since August and is going to be thru next year. I'll take all that extra money. And they are addind 3rd shifts to 3 plants to meet demand. People are buying our vehicles again. Yeah - the gov't money thing sucks and I even think it was wrong but Chrysler paid it back and GM will too. It will just take longer. I have faith only because I see daily what we do and I invite ANY of you to look me up if in Texas and I'll show you the inside view at my plant.

The truck plant down there is in Arlington right?

Keep up the good work. This Ford man wants to have GM to kick around for another Century!

No he wants a GM to tow his sorry arse Ford when it breaks down.
27.gif

OK....I get it. You just like to tick people off to get a response right?

I'll try and respond accordingly moving forward.
No I'm having fun with OVERK1LL. We are friends outside of the threads... By PM and MSN.

OK....I get it. You just like to tick people off to get a response right?

I'll try and respond accordingly moving forward.
No I'm having fun with OVERK1LL. We are friends outside of the threads... By PM and MSN.

If that was the case you would have quoted and responded to OVERK1LL - you directly responded to LS2JSTS. He's my new friend
thumbsup2.gif

Anyone that drives a GM or supports GM is your friend.
lol.gif

I didn't think to quote OVERK1LL and just posted... I wasn't picking on LS2JSTS.

The arrogant dopes are the ones who held the Corporation at knife point and extorted ridiculus wages and benefits from them.

Agreed. And the management that took those deals, knowing that some other management team in the future would have to deal with it.

The arrogant dopes are the government officials who think they can legislate what the market wants to buy.

Not sure what you mean by that- do you mean congress passing efficiency/pollution laws? Maybe I'd agree with that- wherever there are laws that say manufacturers have to use this system or that, rather than just mandate the goal. Or laws that say that an entire car maker's fleet of vehicles produced must meet some target or another- this just promotes building two tiers of vehicles- easy, inefficient vehicles sold at tremendous profit; and cheap, efficient cars that nobody wants. Nobody buys them, and then the maker has to take a loss to unload them before the next batch arrives. Instead, the laws ought to be targeted at the vehicle itself, using some kind of variable formula that combines passenger seats and/or cargo volume versus fuel usage versus actual tailpipe emissions during an EPA test. That way, every vehicle has to compete on its own, against other vehicles in the same class. That way, a clean running but powerful car can compete against an underpowered, but dirtier vehicle on the same playing field. So the producers and buyers have the freedom to determine what vehicles get purchased via market forces, rather than GM having to produce a bunch of tiny garbage cars that the market doesn't want, just so it can produce vehicles in its truck division. Where a company like Honda or Toyota (until recently) could produce better cars across all lines, because it didn't have to de-tune its smaller cars to make up for the CAFE requirements of the larger vehicles it didn't have in its line.

But if you are saying that the government is sitting in the design rooms signing off on car designs, I really don't think that's happening. Even if it was, that would be their right and responsibility as the representatives of their portion of the ownership. And if GM doesn't like it, they can feel free to buy the government out.

The arrogant dopes are the people who forced this take over at the cost of investors and bond holders.

I disagree. When you buy stock in a company, you are buying not just a right to any profit in the company, but also taking the risk that if the company goes bankrupt, you lose your investment. That's just the way corporations work, whether the stockholders know that or not. Like any other investment, they should have done their homework. And there is no evidence the bond holders would have gotten ANYTHING if GM were liquidated rather than restructured.

The BK procedings were entirely illegal and unprecendented,

How so? I don't see anything illegal about it. We can disagree about whether the government should be doing things like this, but I don't know of any legal reason why the government can't go to the bargaining table with a bag of cash like anyone else. Nobody else stepped up, and the government believed that it was in the interest of the people they represent to invest in the company and bail it out.

(It's a common misconception to look at tax dollars as OUR money. It's not ours anymore. We can only control what gets done with it by complaining to our reps and voting for the people we believe will handle it the way we feel is right. The government is just like a big condo association or union or any other group. The group votes on leaders, the leader with the majority wins, and gets his shot at shepherding the organization for a while. If a majority agrees next time, he keeps his job. If they disagree, he doesn't.)

I'm no financial historian, but I'm quite sure there are bankruptcies every day where parties to the suit bargain for their own interests and work deals where everyone gets something, rather than walk away with nothing.

GM would have been better off walking from the table like Ford did.

I'm not sure that's true. If a deal weren't reached, GM would surely have been liquidated. In that environment at that time, the value of their assets was FAR less than what they owed. That's what bankruptcy is- saying we can't do it any more, giving up the money we invested in the company, and handing everything over to the court to try and come up with the most equitable resolution. A person or a company can't just file bankruptcy because they feel like it (and the government can't force a bankruptcy because they feel like it). There has to be evidence that the company is indeed nearly insolvent.

Ford went to the table because they wanted to see how much a bailout would have cost them. When they realized that they would suffer less by going it alone, that was their right. But Ford was in a far better position than GM or Chrysler. GM was too big and in too much debt to be bought, and Chrysler (seemingly) was gutted by DCM. Their choice was: take the deal or fail. Something is better than nothing.

Swalve,

I agree with most of your post. With regard to the BK proceedings, can you name one instance where the new company is allowed out of BK without paying it's bondholders and shareholders anything. While at the same time the ownership of the new company is transfered to the current employees of the previous company and the government. Also, when if ever has BK court allowed the new company to emerge clean of past debt and liability, while the former bondholders and stock holders received the former bad debt and toxic sites as their payment. It was a complete oddity. If not for the voting power of the UAW workers and the Dems fear of upsetting that block, it never would have gone down like this. They didnt even allow former bondholders to sue to stop the proceedings, it was a complete white wash and sham.

What I'm saying is that BK wasn't needed at all, they should have underwritten a loan to GM and let them pay it back. This BK proceeding was nothing more than forcing ownership into the UAW's hands...a complete joke, and illegal.

And I undertsand liquidation was the only option. But at this point liquidation would be better. At least the company that remained would have some respect with car guys in charge. As it is, the Fox is running the hen house. I'm ashamed at what has become of one of this nations great companies.

Last edited:
But this new hate stuff is more personal, its as if they want GM and the entire industry to disappear from our shores. Why is that?

One word: Obama. A certain group of people, shall we say, want the industry to fail so that they can "bring down" Obama -- they want him to fail.

Why is it that every part of this country can continually tax the government and it's resources and no one cares. But when Detroit needs cash for a real and serious problem, then every body gets up in arms?

What I'm refering to are problems like this:

People who live in flood plains along the Miss River....Every few years we all read about the floods and the millions that are needed to repair peoples homes. How about the people who love in Southern CA, and their anual brush fires that cost hundreds of millions. How about all of those people who live along the Eastern Seaboard. Nice place to live, but right in a Hurricanes path seemingly every year. Same with Florida and the Gulf Coast. I sit and watch billions get flushed down the drain every year in these regions. Same story over and over again. But it's a nice place to live so people live there and the rest of us pay to repair their stuff again and again.

But whooooaw.....GM wants a LOAN and everybody has a problem with it....Get real people. This was a loan and for another thing when was the last time you read in the papaers that Detroit or Michigan needs billions to rebuild our houses from flood or fires? You dont, because we didnt build in a flood plain or in a hurricane zone. We dont ask for free cash that never gets paid back. We dont raise everyones home insurance due to our selfish choice of living environs. But a vital industry needs a loan and all we here is whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back