Proud of my products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: thooks
And for the record,

The name of this company is NOT "General Motors" anymore.

It is Motors Liquidation Co.

"Why yes, that is my new SUV from Motors Liquidation Company."

Gotta nice ring to it, huh?

You are right and wrong.....The new Company that sells automobiles is the General Motors Company(dropped the Corporation).......Motors Liquidation Co. is the company left behind that holds all the toxic assets. They dont sell cars or SUV's at all, they only hold debt and toxic sites that are worthless. Thats what the real owners of GMC (Corp) got, while the sham BC gave the new company, free of toxic assets to the looters and the Government.

All my GM's are GMCorporation built, don't think I'll be buying any of those GMCompany built. Thank God for FoMoCo!

Originally Posted By: Cardinal49

I tend to disagree. The UAW workers are just as guilty as the poor management.

How about the engineers who design [censored]? Don't they get any accountability for what they do?

Originally Posted By: brianl703

How about the engineers who design [censored]? Don't they get any accountability for what they do?

Engineers and designers will tell you that their hands are tied by management on many levels. ever heard the phrase "bean counters", it exists for a very real reason.

Agree, add them to the mix as well as the purchasing dept who bought all the [censored] parts from suppliers, the bean counters who sacrificed quality for short-term benefits and quality control for letting this junk leave the plants. I am sure there are more groups that had a hand in GM's failure.

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

Engineers and designers will tell you that their hands are tied by management on many levels. ever heard the phrase "bean counters", it exists for a very real reason.

That's an excuse.

I am supposed to believe that management wouldn't spring for two feet of 12 gauge wire instead of the 14 gauge in the headlight circuit on my 88 Mustang GT after the engineer redid it to comply with DOT requirements that the foglights had to turn off when the highbeams came on?

Whose job was it to make sure that the headlight circuit complied with DOT requirements in the first place? They screwed up too.

It's far more likely that the idiot engineer who moved the foglights to run off the low-beam circuit forgot to upsize the wire between the dimmer switch and the headlight switch to handle the additional load. They obviously upsized the wire between the fusebox and the headlight switch to handle the foglight load. 12 gauge goes into the headlight switch, 14 gauge comes out.

Can you explain to me what reason, other than an engineering screwup, you would ever have a smaller wire leaving a switch than what entered it? The current on both wires is the same! (If they really wanted to save money, they'd have used 14 gauge on both ends of the switch!)

I know all of this BTW because I have the actual blueprints for the wiring diagrams.

I can see that the foglight circuit was originally connected to the output of the headlight switch, which is fed with 12 gauge. Our engineer obviously thought an easy fix was to simply connect it to the low-beam output of the dimmer switch, which is only 14 gauge wire and could not safely handle the additional load of the foglights, with the result that the dimmer and headlight switches eventually burn out, but not before the thermal breaker starts tripping, making your headlights turn off at night for several seconds.

How about the idiot engineer who specified the wrong underhood wiring insulation material on the 1995-1997 Contour/Mystique? Obviously they didn't understand that (1) PVC is a poor insulation material for hot places and (2) engines get hot. Truth be told, I don't know if this is a Ford or a Yazaki (manufacturer of the harness) screwup. Might even be a screwup by the manufacturer of the wire, but, it's not hard to do a test on the insulation to be sure that it's what is specified--the proper insulation won't burn. Got a lighter?

All I got out of that was that some engineer had to go back and redo something because of some stupid government regulation.

Add the US government to the list of groups that killed the goose.

Last edited:
It's a stupid government regulation that existed at the time the wiring harness was designed.

The redo was a screwup, plain and simple. I think any electrician would have known how to properly handle the redo.

My point is, it was spec'd right the first time, the redo was the screw up......I'm only trying to point out that not all the engineers at GM or any company are bad at their job.

Most of the best engineers are working on things that never see the light of day....But people are always free to make broad remarks that reflect their own ignorance of the truth.

They're not, but there ARE engineering screwups and they are NOT the result of beancounting, only the engineer's poor grasp of the basics or overlooking the obvious.

Math and science education has been suffering in this country for YEARS and I think it is not unreasonable to think that it might be reflected in some of the problems we have with our cars.

Beancounting DOES affect the end result in some cases. In others, someone simply created a poor design. Sometimes, the poor design actually costs more than the proper one...either at the time it's implemented or further on down the road when recalls or warranty repairs have to be made.

Question: How are software defects the result of bean counting?

Math and science education has been suffering in this country for YEARS and I think it is not unreasonable to think that it might be reflected in some of the problems we have with our cars.

Yeah, but think of all the law school grads we produce....

The General Motors of today, because of the bankruptcy, does not have any ties to the other General Motors, legally, which has been conveniently renamed Motors Liquidation Company. Therefore, the company called General Motors Company should state that its' beginnings started in 2009. It no longer has any connection to the other General Motors. So anytime General Motors Company says that they have a long history, of making cars, trucks, etc, they need to state that it only goes back to 2009, when that company emerged from bankruptcy.

My opinion.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Kind of like the rotted out frames on the Toyotas.

maybe Toy should disinfect and kill the iron worms before they sell them.

Who made the frames? Or better yet what steel does not corrode when in contact with salt? What would be the best solution to prevent corrosion?

In the four Toyotas I have owned, no frame rot issues. Now my 1985 Toy 4x4 had issues with rotted tailgate, and rear body panels at the seams.

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN HIJACKED - AS NORMAL AROUND HERE!

Mods - please lock my thread, it was not intended to steer this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back