Proud of my products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video. We now are an all GM household. Son has my old 2002 Cavalier, I have a 2004 Impala and 2008 Colorado, wife has a 2008 Malibu. All have been practically flawless. IMO GM and GM Canada (Impala) has done a good job.

I was able to tour the Ford Explorer plant in Hazelwood, MO years ago when we were installing computer gear throughout the plant.

It is really amazing how cars are assembled.

What stuck with me were two machines. One machine took tires and wheels as input and produced mounted and balanced assemblies out the other end. The workers were just "feeding" the machine the wheels and tires for installation.

The other was the robots that were picking up the frame assembly and working with it. It was like they were picking up toys and putting them together, it was so effortless. The robot would pick up bits and weld them to the frame rails.

If you listen to the end of the video he says he is turning in the Black one because the lease is up...
wink.gif

Man, sounds like I could get in a lot of trouble in this thread.....I'll just throw one little piece of fact out there for those that like to point fingers.

Just one of the "bad" decisions made by upper mngmt was to allow the company to be bullied and eventually taken over by the UAW. Agreeing to the ridiculus wages that were earned through extortion and threat was a very bad decision on that much I agree.

GM wasn't "bailed out", it was taken over by the Federal Govt and the UAW. The people who owned and invested in the REAL GM, got nothing! The new GM is a farce thats owned by the modern equivalent of the "Mob"

Nothing against the people working hard in the video, but I tend to agree. UAW wages and benefits are not sustainable, just as are the fatty salaries of upper management. It's a knuckle under sandwich.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Proud of My Products

We should always word hard at what we do so that we are proud of what we produce. It turns the job into a vocation. I'm glad to hear that you believe you did your best at your profession. It is very satisfying to say the least.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Proud of My Products

We should always word hard at what we do so that we are proud of what we produce. It turns the job into a vocation. I'm glad to hear that you believe you did your best at your profession. It is very satisfying to say the least.

Absolutely +1 and I like your (GMBoy) attitude about the current state of affairs.

The November 2009 issue of Car & Driver has a picture of the current Board of Directors of GM. Of the 13 only 3 are 'car people'.....enough said.

Great...
Show me the factory where the headlights and tailights come from. GM makes the worst of any modern car.
Show me how the ignition lock cylinders are made. The Saturn ION and Chevy Cobalt ones were absolute garbage and expensive to replace.
Show me the EGR valve factory, I have had to replace more of those rotary type EGR valves than any Denso or Hitachi EGR system.
Show me the steering intermediate shaft factory. I have to replace more GM intermediate shafts than on any other manufacturer combined.
Show me the electrical switch factory. Their are tied with Ford at the bottom of my list.

Ever since that day I had to spend $600 on stupid junk on my car that doesn't fail on my friend's Toyotas and Hondas, I swore I'd never buy a GM again.

GM is a failed company. Nothing more nothing less. That being said, hopefully, the opportunity GM has been provided to right the ship works. A lot of people depend on that. Nevertheless, keep up the good work!

Kind of like the rotted out frames on the Toyotas.

maybe Toy should disinfect and kill the iron worms before they sell them.

And for the record,

The name of this company is NOT "General Motors" anymore.

It is Motors Liquidation Co.

"Why yes, that is my new SUV from Motors Liquidation Company."

Gotta nice ring to it, huh?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm sure that the workers assemble the products to a very high standard of quality and it is unfortunate that such greatly skilled people who seem to be really nice hard working people as well (as shown in the video) are subject to GM's poor marketing, poor component choice and poor overall design which for the most part leads to poor reliability and a poor taste in consumers mouths and leads the sales away to other companies.

IMO the workers of GM should be angry at the company for the designs and component reliability. This is proven by the loss of market share over the years year after year and didn't just happen over night.

There is no doubt that it isn't the workers fault but that of upper managements for not managing the company properly and making poor decision after poor decision.

While they (Corporate Execs) ride their "Golden Parachutes" away from this mess the workers are left picking up pieces and trying to salvage a sinking ship just to make ends meat for their families and that just isn't fair.

For those I have pity for your situation, but I will not be purchasing a GM product anytime soon and supporting this mess even if it means putting food on the table of a worker because if I were to it would teach the company nothing except to put your hands out in a time of need and all your mismanagement and poor decisions will be forgotten because there are no consequences for your actions. This I can't agree with as I'm not one for allowing History to repeat itself.

Good luck to all the GM employees, you certainly deserve it and I wish you all the best. If I were you I would be making a career change as quickly as possible because I think the ship is pretty much sunk regardless if the quality is that of other makes now.

Consumers are just turned off, and taking bailouts from the government just sealed the deal for most IMO.

Steve

You hit the nail on the head StevieC. It is all upper mgt's fault and I understand that a portion of the public feels just as you do. Very good post w/o the usual hardcore GM bashing.

I tend to disagree. The UAW workers are just as guilty as the poor management. There are many, many stories of what was going on in the GM plants in the 70s/80s. My brother-in-law and a good friend both worked in UAW plants. They regularly saw other workers smoking pot and drinking while on the clock. They saw UAW workers deficate and urinate in the body of a car before the seats were put in. They saw workers throw handfuls of screws in the dash and fenders so there would be rattles. The workers thought this was funny. Management was scared to say anything.

The result was people started buying something else that they ultimately found to be better. There was no reason to ever buy another GM. I have friends and family members who would never, ever buy a GM product. It is completely irrelevant and not even a consideration when they think about their next purchase.

I feel sorry for the good workers at GM (both on the line and lower level management). I am angry at everyone who killed that company. In virtually every industry, the best products are made in the US, by US workers from US companies. There is no excuse why American cars should not be the best in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back