Protective oil film on engine bearings?

This might seem like a weird/stupid question, but I'm an ignoramus when it comes to engine lubrication so bear with me. The other day I got into my car, started it and turned it off almost immediately because I had forgotten something in the house. Now I know there's always some oil film on the bearings to protect them when starting the engine, but my concern is that the oil film sort of got wiped off during that brief period and that there might have been some bearing wear and tear during the subsequent engine start (because the pump didn't have enough time to coat the bearings). Is my fear justified or is there always some oil present on the bearings no matter how brief the engine's been running? Any info is greatly appreciated!
P. S. The car is a 2.0 Mazda using 5w30 synthetic oil.

Visualize the three phases of lubrication and think of all of the vehicles that are on the road today that use start/stop technology to reduce fuel consumption and engine longevity. When your engine is running, the bearings are generally protected by a layer of oil known as the hydrodynamic layer. When the oil layer becomes thin then the lubrication phase becomes a elastohydrodynamic layer which essentially squishes the fluid but retains a molecularly stable film. Once this film layer is breached then you're running on a boundary layer of metallic ashes and organic compounds to prevent the metal-to-metal contact.

If you did this 1000 times a day you'd eventually wear it out. So if you just want something to worry about then think about your oil pump and the location it's place IN FRONT OF the oil filter. That poor little thing takes every particle strike and chunk of garbage the engine can produce and pushes it downstream in hopes that the $2,99 oil filter will catch it. And don't get me started on those big rubber timing belts that have to stay together when it's 200 degrees under the hood or 20 below zero in January.

I like to write on quadrille graph paper because it lets me keep my characters similarly sized. I like blue ink also.

I'm sorry, I am just in the mood to type this morning.

Oil pressure starts building inside of a couple seconds with synthetic oil, and the crankshaft bearings see it first-and (unless you just changed to fresh oil) the boundary lubrication regime (^Fow's "ashes") is protecting wear surfaces until hydrodynamic (AKA pressurized oil) lubrication takes over. Only time boundary is lessened is when fresh oil detergents wash it away & parts haven't gotten hot enough to form a new layer. Boundary is like a thin layer of glass, formed, almost welded, to all the microscopic imperfections on metal surfaces-that will protect you when you start & stop.

Back